• Advertisement

Kohler Confident

Use this forum to discuss small engines, and the equipment or machinery that they power. This is the main section for any technical help posts and related questions.

Kohler Confident

Postby madmantrapper » Thu Sep 06, 2018 9:36 am

Someone tell me something about this engine please. How does it compare to the Command and Courage? I am looking for a ZTR that is affordable for home use. Everything I own has a Command engine and I am satisfied with it. A new ZTR my son is looking at has a Confident which I know nothing about. Some of the reviews I looked at say it is a very low end commercial, others say it is a residential. What do the Pros say?
madmantrapper
Guide

Advertisement

Re: Kohler Confident

Postby KE4AVB » Thu Sep 06, 2018 10:19 am

Personally I haven't seen one yet but it does have a 2 year commercial use warranty vs the Command Pro 2-3 year commercial use warranty(depending series). Either way it is a lot better warranty compared the Courage and the 7000 series which are 90 days commercial use.
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby Mr Mower Man » Fri Sep 07, 2018 11:52 am

Actually, starting back in November '17, Kohler retroactively made all their twin cylinder engines with a 3-year consumer and commercial warranty (except the Courage, which hasn't been in production for a few years anyway). The Confidant engine seems pretty solid to me. I did have to perform warranty repair on one because the plastic cam gear was oversized, causing a whine while the engine was running. Don't quote me on this, but I'm not sure there's a whole lot of difference between the 7000 series and the Confidant series, except for air filtration. I'd trust both of them, but then again, I like Kohler engines. The only general problem I'm aware of with the 7000 series (and maybe the Confidant too), is some oil leakage around the valve covers. I did not like the Courage engine, but the new 7000 series is NOT a Courage with a different label. It's a completely redesigned engine. And the Confidant was created to be used in light commercial applications. The Command is still their top end commercial line.
Mr Mower Man
Forum Pro

Postby madmantrapper » Sat Sep 08, 2018 11:55 am

Thanks guys, I think I will stick with the command, proven reliability.
madmantrapper
Guide

Postby madmantrapper » Sat Sep 08, 2018 12:51 pm

How about the Kohler 7000 vs the Kawasaki FR?
madmantrapper
Guide

Postby Luffydog » Sat Sep 08, 2018 1:36 pm

Seems all the Kohler's look alike these days with different names on them with different air filters and shrouds until u get to bigger commercial engines then things change a bit. I don't like the Kohler's engine not a fan especially when it comes down to something like internal damage they will either send a long or short block to replace instead of bucking up and sending an engine. They seems like they are failing out with little hrs on them. Power kohler but with troubles early and louder. Quiet and little less power with some later issues with and pretty good stand behind the engine and good maintenance practice use good oil and filter and air filter then Might have some small issues along the way but doesn't seem to be as often as the kohler. Just my opinion Kawasaki is the way to go for home lite or commercial use. I think I would rather have a Briggs than a kohler but just me :lol: :popcorn: but each has their own opinion and all has or will have issues in time.
Luffydog
Forum Pro

Return to Technical Discussion Forum