• Advertisement

Briggs 3 HP - Want to swap crankshaft

Use this forum to discuss small engines, and the equipment or machinery that they power. This is the main section for any technical help posts and related questions.

Re: Briggs 3 HP - Want to swap crankshaft

Postby creia » Sun Sep 30, 2018 3:31 pm

LAST UPDATE AND EPILOGUE:
SUCCESS!! :D
I was finally able to locate and purchase a used crank (Briggs # 493633) in very good condition that will work in our engine. I felt fortunate to have a seller that provided very specific measurements and good photos. At $ 32.00 shipped I felt I did pretty good. I have already test fit the crank and it is fine EXCEPT... :roll:
..this crank was out of a 1991 Briggs 3 HP with electronic ignition ("Magnetron") so it does not have the ground/machined detent into the crankshaft for the points plunger to ride in like on this 1973 Briggs 3 Hp with points and ignition. So..... back to Ebay and I purchased a Briggs NOS OEM 3 HP Magnetron coil for $ 30.00 shipped which seems like a very good price.
Michael :D
Last edited by creia on Sun Sep 30, 2018 6:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
creia
Forum Pro

Postby RoyM » Sun Sep 30, 2018 6:01 pm

Small price to pay for the reliability, it's one less thing to wear out and cause problems. Make sure you plug the plunger hole.
Briggs and Stratton MST
RoyM
Forum Pro

Postby creia » Sun Jan 06, 2019 5:28 pm

Sometimes the stars align and you get lucky... :shock: :o
Another member was reading this thread and needed the EXACT (water pump style with threaded end) crankshaft I took out of the engine! I sold it to him and was able to recoup most of the crankshaft cost that I had to purchase. :D
What is that old saying even a blind chicken will get a kernel of corn now and then?
Tom, if you are reading this, thanks again!! Also, a BIG "Thank you" to THIS FORUM!! :D
Michael :)
creia
Forum Pro

Previous

Return to Technical Discussion Forum