• Advertisement

Fusing

Use this forum to discuss small engines, and the equipment or machinery that they power. This is the main section for any technical help posts and related questions.

Fusing

Postby 38racing » Mon Sep 10, 2018 9:30 pm

A lot of mowers I see run the battery feed from the starter solenoid terminal with cable from battery to the keyswitch through a fuse . I see too that the wire from the charging system will go to the same terminal on the keyswitch. Am I right in thinking that a running mower would continue to run if the fuse were removed although the battery would not get recharged? In that case what happens if a wire feeding the electric clutch or ABS solenoid were to short to ground? Could that fry that stator.
38racing
Forum Pro

Advertisement

Re: Fusing

Postby bgsengine » Tue Sep 11, 2018 5:57 am

38racing wrote:A lot of mowers I see run the battery feed from the starter solenoid terminal with cable from battery to the keyswitch through a fuse . I see too that the wire from the charging system will go to the same terminal on the keyswitch. Am I right in thinking that a running mower would continue to run if the fuse were removed although the battery would not get recharged?
if its magneto ignition , yes.. why wouldn't it? it'd likely stay running if the switch was completely unplugged too..
In that case what happens if a wire feeding the electric clutch or ABS solenoid were to short to ground? Could that fry that stator.
typically not.. don't see why it would? things like PTO clutch, etc are loads.. stator output is the same any way you slice it, given a constant RPM.. only thing that would fry stator is somehow back-feeding DC voltage through an unprotected AC side circuit.. anything providing DC volts for the loads will be behind a diode or regulator.

also since when do lawnmowers have Anti-Lock Brakes? (ABS) :shock: :bricks: :lol:
How poor are they who have not patience. What wound did ever heal, but by degrees? - Iago (Othello Act II, Scene 3)
bgsengine
Briggs MST
Briggs MST

Postby 38racing » Tue Sep 11, 2018 6:43 am

bgsengine wrote:
also since when do lawnmowers have Anti-Lock Brakes? (ABS) :shock: :bricks: :lol:

I expect they'll follow on the footsteps of EFI. And I'm sure most owners will disable it.
I was just looking at a schematic where it appears that the alternator feeds to the run tab of the keyswitch so charge goes back through the B tab to battery. The ABS (AntiBackfireSolenoid) lead is also on the run feed as well. Keyswitch only connects B to S during start. I'm guessing this one is associated with a MTD bulletin where a bunch of keyswitches had to be replaced. Got to wonder how a mistake like that gets past testing unless in this case cranking generated enough alternator power to open ABS.
38racing
Forum Pro

Postby KE4AVB » Tue Sep 11, 2018 7:53 am

Could I see the schematic and have the keyswitch pn? (if uncomfortable posting it just PM or email me the info, my psychic connection is down right now) I just did recently that didn't power the fuel solenoid either in run or start positions. All I have to do is add a jumper and attached the solenoid to the new powered circuit. Of course the customer longer have a 4 position switch as I installed a JD switch in a Murray.

Shorting the stator to ground only provides engine braking. I repaired a Kohler last year that they was intentionally using the stator as an engine brake on shutdown though they were using a separate winding on the stator. Matter of fact several mowers now ground stator charge to ground as you turn off the switch to eliminate any feedback from the stator and any other components on the accessory circuit.

These stators only produce so much current and they are well made but as Brian said they can't handle the reverse flow from the battery as it can produce up to 400+ amps depends on the installed battery.
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby KE4AVB » Tue Sep 11, 2018 7:50 pm

Aw forget it...I got a Norwegian Magnum ATV that I got figure the electrical out on. Darn guy before had no idea what he was doing. Just a lot of electrical tape everywhere.
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Return to Technical Discussion Forum