• Advertisement

Tecumseh lv148 flywheel torque

Use this forum to discuss small engines, and the equipment or machinery that they power. This is the main section for any technical help posts and related questions.

Re: Tecumseh lv148 flywheel torque

Postby Skywatcher » Fri Sep 21, 2018 9:32 pm

Hi 38

The Tecumseh service manual says both valves on L-head engines should be .008" to .012". Air gap between flywheel and coil should be .010" ± .002". The piece of blue plastic under a brick of Kraft Philadelphia cheese is the perfect thickness for use as an air gap setting tool.

If I'm servicing one of these engines for an older customer with less strength in their pulling arm, I'll file about 1/32" off the long edge of the flywheel key to effectively retard the ignition timing about 3º or 4º. This makes the engine a little easier to start with less chance of kickback but no noticeable loss in performance. Keep at it there 38, I'm sure you'll win in the end,

Sky
A person who sees Quality and feels it as he works is a person who cares.
A person who cares about what he sees and does is a person who's bound to have some characteristics of Quality.
Robert M. Pirsig. (Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance)
Skywatcher
Forum Pro

Location: Southern Alberta. Where the wheatlands meet the Range.

Postby 38racing » Sat Sep 22, 2018 9:40 am

I will see if I can refind it but I thought I saw some tecumseh manual and though my .004 and .005 were in range on valve clearance. Won't be changing them as long as it starts and runs.
38racing
Forum Pro

Postby 38racing » Sat Sep 22, 2018 5:58 pm

3-11hp manual shows 8-12 thou for a bunch of points ignition. For electronic ignition 4-8 is common including LEV series which I assumed would likely be for LV as well.
38racing
Forum Pro

Previous

Return to Technical Discussion Forum