• Advertisement

Kohler prices?

Use this forum to discuss small engines, and the equipment or machinery that they power. This is the main section for any technical help posts and related questions.

Kohler prices?

Postby hanz63 » Thu Sep 27, 2018 7:15 pm

This past order I had filled in with misc. filters which I often do so I pretty much know pricing. They were all over the place but increases 5 to almost 20% on some Command air filters. Anyone else see recent price hikes or does my distributor just think I'm special? :o
hanz63
Forum Pro

Advertisement

Re: Kohler prices?

Postby KE4AVB » Thu Sep 27, 2018 7:46 pm

Depends where they made. The tariffs are hitting some of the supplies and parts now.

For me I usually buy AM filter whenever I can when they of known good quality.

But if you can PM me the part numbers and you prices I can check with my new distributor see how they compare. I don't personally discuss openly distributor to shop prices as we do have endusers visiting.
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby KE4AVB » Fri Sep 28, 2018 6:33 pm

Here is an example of the results of the White House decisions.

From Stens:
Due to the recent news and delayed governmental decisions surrounding tariffs, we have chosen to postpone the printed 2019 Stens Catalog by two months.

Stens prices will be updated on October 1, 2018 and will incorporate the recently announced tariff charges and other vendor pricing adjustments.

Boy I really like this last minute notice; Monday is the 1st.
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby bgsengine » Fri Sep 28, 2018 8:49 pm

KE4AVB wrote:Here is an example of the results of the White House decisions.

From Stens:
Due to the recent news and delayed governmental decisions surrounding tariffs, we have chosen to postpone the printed 2019 Stens Catalog by two months.

Stens prices will be updated on October 1, 2018 and will incorporate the recently announced tariff charges and other vendor pricing adjustments.

Boy I really like this last minute notice; Monday is the 1st.

Yep a great deal of Stens and Oregon (and Laser, Primeline, etc) parts are sourced from china manufacturers.. I tracked down many of those suppliers, thinking about getting into the parts distributing game myself... Was oh, so close to pulling the trigger on that (had supplies lined up from Canada, Taiwan, Hong Kong,, India, and China) and was in the process of developing branding (packaging, trademarks, UPC codes,, the works) and then a family health issue put the plans on hold for a few months, by the time I got back to them, things were already in the process of changing (import licensing, customs, EPA certifications, and now, of course, tariffs)

But just based on having had those lined up and almost ready to put in my orders (400,000 USD worth in all) it was understandable how so many AM suppliers were lured into deals with the china manufacturers (so MUCH cheaper than , say, canadian supplier) - coulda been buying Stihl replacement carburetors for just $2.75 each , sell em at dealer pricing of $10 , Retail $28 , OEM Stihl pricing was around $49.... but the more things changed in this business over the last 2 years, and finally the tariffs coming into play this year, I really feel like I dodged a bullet by that delay in my plans...
How poor are they who have not patience. What wound did ever heal, but by degrees? - Iago (Othello Act II, Scene 3)
bgsengine
Briggs MST
Briggs MST

Postby hanz63 » Fri Sep 28, 2018 11:25 pm

You know, the aftermarket filters are fine I'm sure. The old Kohler price was not much more than AM and I think the customer perceived a better part. It isn't like some of the Briggs can filters which LOOK cheaper than the AM. Myself, two of my distributors have OEP- both the Briggs and the Kohler. Each carry only the OEM from each. I also have a Stens and a Rotary account, but really I quit playing their game and their dealer price level went from gold to , hey- just buy your stuff on Amazon. 1288305s1 , 1288310s1 , 5205002s if you would be good enough to PM me. That way I can see what my distributor is up to. Thanks guys. They did something like this a couple of years back too.
hanz63
Forum Pro

Postby 38racing » Mon Oct 01, 2018 12:14 pm

I wonder if Canadian suppliers get their stuff directly from china so we'll not see the price jump although they may just raise prices to match USA pricing.
38racing
Forum Pro

Postby 38racing » Tue Oct 09, 2018 2:11 pm

I just did an order of mostly tecumseh parts plus a few briggs and an mtd pulley. My canadian source was 30 cheaper than either repairclinic or partstree. Order was enough that 15 of that was free shipping I got . Plus the supplier claims he can get tec-37423 gasket set. Partstree showed it too whereas repairclinic had only 37423A which is more expensive. I doesn't seem to be a supercede as the latter shows only fitting the later model ov691ep (vtx691)
It's interesting to see MTD numbers for a tec or briggs part with a much higher price in some cases.
38racing
Forum Pro

Postby KE4AVB » Tue Oct 09, 2018 2:47 pm

You-ll find the same on MTD for Kohler parts. They are buying them from these manuafactures and reselling them at higher prices. I even found some Briggs parts at a much higher at John Deere too.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Return to Technical Discussion Forum