• Advertisement

Kohler SV620-3215

Use this forum to discuss small engines, and the equipment or machinery that they power. This is the main section for any technical help posts and related questions.

Kohler SV620-3215

Postby StarTech » Sat Sep 29, 2018 4:20 pm

I got in an engine that not making much sense. It is a Kohler SV620-3215 that sounding like a gunshots out of the exhaust at idle when hot. I check for carburetor needle seat leakage and it passes the pressure test. The only thing I see going on at the carburetor is that the intake insert is very loose. I wondering if that could be causing the problem or maybe an ignition coil failing. The said it started doing this last week a few times but it got quite a bit worst.
StarTech

Advertisement

Re: Kohler SV620-3215

Postby hanz63 » Sat Sep 29, 2018 5:15 pm

It may be worth removing the valve cover. These will develop loose seats on occasion as well the once inna blue moon rocker that comes apart.
hanz63
Forum Pro

Postby StarTech » Sun Sep 30, 2018 11:17 am

Leak down Results

• 15 %overall leakage. Actually hard to hold the flywheel by hand at 15 PSI input
  • No leakage from either valve
  • Plug indicates lean burn very small deposits. If didn't know better I would it just been installed and ran an hour.

Still leaning to either intake air leak or bad coil.
StarTech

Postby bgsengine » Sun Sep 30, 2018 1:00 pm

I'd bet on the air leak - lean engine misfire = incomplete fuel combustion, creating popping in muffler as unburned charges get sent to hot exhaust
How poor are they who have not patience. What wound did ever heal, but by degrees? - Iago (Othello Act II, Scene 3)
bgsengine
Briggs MST
Briggs MST

Postby KE4AVB » Sat Oct 06, 2018 1:06 pm

What I have been finding lately is those two piece design carb spacer and insert is that insert is getting loose and causing air leaks. I like the older one piece design better but it is NLA as far as I know. I agree with BGS I think it air leak lean out problem.

Question did you get it fix?
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby StarTech » Sat Oct 06, 2018 4:33 pm

Appears to be fixed. I change the insert, the spacer, and spark plug. Customer says it runs a lot better it has in a while.

Oh btw I sneak those out your inventory AVB so I bring the replacements by when I get them in; unless, you want to order them and bill me. Thinking on that go ahead and do it I rather pay you then my pain in the neck dealer here.
StarTech

Postby KE4AVB » Sat Oct 06, 2018 5:27 pm

So that is why that container was in the wrong bin. I thought I did it.
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Return to Technical Discussion Forum