• Advertisement

Guess what am I doing here?

Use this forum to discuss small engines, and the equipment or machinery that they power. This is the main section for any technical help posts and related questions.

Guess what am I doing here?

Postby 38racing » Tue Oct 02, 2018 6:53 pm

38racing
Forum Pro

Advertisement

Re: Guess what am I doing here?

Postby StarTech » Tue Oct 02, 2018 7:46 pm

Trying to remove a broke steel screw or extractor bit. Depending bad it is I would attempt a carbide bit to remove it. I gave long ago trying to extract broke screws from aluminum. I just drill them out and oversize for a helicoil or the next size screw.

BTW if you were attempting the tap the aluminum there is a trick to prevent the tap from seizing and breaking easily. Hint it is not tapping oil.
StarTech

Postby RoyM » Tue Oct 02, 2018 9:13 pm

I thought maybe you had developed a craving for engine soup. ;)
Briggs and Stratton MST
RoyM
Forum Pro

Postby 38racing » Tue Oct 02, 2018 9:48 pm

Starfire One wrote:Trying to remove a broke steel screw or extractor bit. Depending bad it is I would attempt a carbide bit to remove it. I gave long ago trying to extract broke screws from aluminum. I just drill them out and oversize for a helicoil or the next size screw.

BTW if you were attempting the tap the aluminum there is a trick to prevent the tap from seizing and breaking easily. Hint it is not tapping oil.

Yep. It was a tap. I also gave up on extracters. I had drilled with drill size for 1/4 tap thinking tap would cut remainder of bolt. Stuck tap was second one. I broke a smaller one earlier but I was able to bang it out. After a couple hours in the alum I was able to bang this one out. Since likely steel still in 5/16 threads maybe I can tap for 3/8.
38racing
Forum Pro

Postby 38racing » Wed Oct 03, 2018 1:16 pm

Starfire One wrote:Trying to remove a broke steel screw or extractor bit. Depending bad it is I would attempt a carbide bit to remove it. I gave long ago trying to extract broke screws from aluminum. I just drill them out and oversize for a helicoil or the next size screw.

So what's the trick to getting new tap in ok?
38racing
Forum Pro

Postby StarTech » Wed Oct 03, 2018 5:51 pm

91% Isopropyl Alcohol per AVB's machinist friend if tapping aluminum. And of course removing the bit every so often to clean out the cuttings.
Last edited by StarTech on Wed Oct 03, 2018 8:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
StarTech

Postby 38racing » Wed Oct 03, 2018 6:21 pm

Starfire One wrote:91% Isopropyl Alcohol per AVB's machinist friend if tapping aluminum. And of course removing the bit so often to clean out the cuttings.

I have a bottle actually. Hope I didn't use too much of it washing down the truck boxside I'm repainting.
38racing
Forum Pro

Postby 38racing » Fri Oct 05, 2018 7:40 am

38racing wrote:
Starfire One wrote:91% Isopropyl Alcohol per AVB's machinist friend if tapping aluminum. And of course removing the bit so often to clean out the cuttings.

I have a bottle actually. Hope I didn't use too much of it washing down the truck boxside I'm repainting.

That bottle said 70%. I used pink gasline antifreeze containing it. Got it tapped to 3/8 now. Wondering if it's ok to reduce torque and use some loctite on them.
38racing
Forum Pro

Return to Technical Discussion Forum