• Advertisement

Looking for Spicer/Dana transaxle or parts

Use this forum to discuss small engines, and the equipment or machinery that they power. This is the main section for any technical help posts and related questions.

Looking for Spicer/Dana transaxle or parts

Postby Mr Mower Man » Thu Oct 04, 2018 3:19 pm

I have a Craftsman riding mower in the shop (917.275351) that has a Dana/Spicer transaxle gone bad. It still drives, but the input shaft has worn out the hole in the upper housing. Replacement 6 speed transaxle is NLA, so are most of the parts. I'm thinking I may be able to get by with a used one from ebay. The model number of the transaxle is 4360-140. There are lots of 4360 transaxles I see online, but will they fit this mower? Those of you with more experience swapping rear ends would know more about this than me.

I also saw an upper housing (5305) for sale, and it looks good. But I'm not sure that's the same as the 5305T which shows up in the parts description when I put in the upper housing part number (170981).

I think this thing can be fixed, but I don't know enough about the interchangeability of parts between different models.
Mr Mower Man
Forum Pro

Advertisement

Re: Looking for Spicer/Dana transaxle or parts

Postby KE4AVB » Thu Oct 04, 2018 4:41 pm

Personally I would just put the 4360-140 that I have in the shop in it. I only got it because a customer had me to obtain one for him then he failed to make good on the purchase.

The problem with other model versions would probably be the shifter linkage. Or at that was the problem I ran into when I put the Dana 6 sp in place of Peerless 6 sp transaxle. I luck then as the donor mower was a close match model wise and had an adjustable linkage.

The last complete 4360-140 I seen on eBay was $200 plus shipping. Obtaining one is probably not in the budget either.

Now if you know the other Dana 4360 dash numbers you can compare the parts from the following IPLs. Note not all 4360s are 6 sp either.
http://www.mymowerparts.com/pdf/Dana-Foot-Transmissions-Transaxles-Differentials/

As you already found out Dana parts for the 4360 s are NLA and have not been for quite a few years now.
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Return to Technical Discussion Forum