• Advertisement

Craftshaft shortening

Use this forum to discuss small engines, and the equipment or machinery that they power. This is the main section for any technical help posts and related questions.

Craftshaft shortening

Postby KE4AVB » Sat Oct 06, 2018 10:35 am

I will doing a crankshaft shortening project this weekend. Just wondering if anyone else had to do this for the PTO end. The 130000 series L-head the customer has is on a log splitter and the shortening is needed for proper Lovejoy alignment in its safety housing so I don't need to make the 9/16-5/8 custom spacers. I will be using the keyway slot so I don't need the threaded end. The replacement is a 130G32-0011 OHV Promo engine with a metal gas tank. This the only modification that is needed to replace and upgrade the engine. Of course I need to put chamfer on the end to make it easier to start the coupler.

Of I got to get a new L075 Lovejoy coupler since they don't sell that I know of the rubber spider separately.
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Advertisement

Re: Craftshaft shortening

Postby bgsengine » Sat Oct 06, 2018 10:54 am

Lots of them. Actually Briggs has training video on that (or they did) basically just a hacksaw , drill, tap & die set all is needed. What I do to make sure I get a square cut is to run the lovejoy on the shaft backwards and use the flat end as a guide (lock down with the allen set screw) to make the cut just a teeny bit longer than needed, and polish off the cut with a hand grinder to flush with the lovejoy's flat face after adjusting it to the final length dimension.
How poor are they who have not patience. What wound did ever heal, but by degrees? - Iago (Othello Act II, Scene 3)
bgsengine
Briggs MST
Briggs MST

Postby bgsengine » Sat Oct 06, 2018 10:55 am

KE4AVB wrote:
Of I got to get a new L075 Lovejoy coupler since they don't sell that I know of the rubber spider separately.
Tried Grainger? https://www.grainger.com/product/TB-WOO ... ling-3KX92
How poor are they who have not patience. What wound did ever heal, but by degrees? - Iago (Othello Act II, Scene 3)
bgsengine
Briggs MST
Briggs MST

Postby KE4AVB » Sat Oct 06, 2018 12:50 pm

Yes that what I planning to with the coupler. And thanks for link as that is the piece I need. Funny usually Google finds stuff like this.
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby KE4AVB » Sat Oct 06, 2018 4:06 pm

Well the patient is in the recovery room. The transplant operation went well, now I just got to get the rubber part of the coupler. Sure save a lot work when the replacement engine is cheaper than the rebuild of the old engine which may not even cleaned up at .020 over; some pretty heavy scoring of the cylinder walls.

Well I learn something new today so I must be still alive and kicking. ;)

BGS I just set my length, triple checked my measurements, and use my cutoff grinder. The crankshaft cut fairly easy. I actually expected it to harder metal. Just like building furniture except working with metal instead of wood.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby bobodu » Mon Oct 08, 2018 5:10 pm

LOL....I don;t think I even owned an angle grinder until I did about three of those....the times -they are a changing... :(
"Give me a fast ship, for I intend to go into harm's way."
bobodu
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Return to Technical Discussion Forum