• Advertisement

Hydro Transmission Problem

Use this forum to discuss small engines, and the equipment or machinery that they power. This is the main section for any technical help posts and related questions.

Hydro Transmission Problem

Postby lefty » Sat Oct 13, 2018 10:33 am

Craftsman: 917.256531
Sullivan Trans: 319-0650

This machine was being operated by the owner until it stopped moving. It appears that the freewheel control rod had been moved into the freewheel position. But when I tried to re-engage it, it does not stay engaged. The control rod is connected to the bypass arm but there appears to be no resistance coming from the bypass actuator.

He has another trans from a parts machine and there is clearly some sort of resistance on the actuator that causes it to want to stay engaged with some sort of internal spring or fluid pressure, not sure exactly how it works inside.

So basically, the bypass arm is just flopping around back and forth. Furthermore, when I hold the arm in the engaged position, the trans does not engage.

So I'm guessing something has broken inside the transmission?

Here's a link to the schematic. https://www.searspartsdirect.com/model-number/917256531/0247/1509200.html?searchType=modelSearch&q=917.256531&searchTerm=917.256531 The transmission is the last diagram.

I should note; The owner told me while trying to remove one of the rear wheel months back, he accidentally pulled the wheel and axle out of the transmission. He was able to get it back in but I'm not so sure yanking the axle out and just driving it right back in is the correct procedure for that.

But it seemed to work fine for him for the next couple of months before this most recent problem arose.
lefty
Forum Pro

Advertisement

Re: Hydro Transmission Problem

Postby RoyM » Sat Oct 13, 2018 10:49 am

There is probably an axle circlip or snap ring floating around inside along with the detent spring and ball for the bypass control.
Briggs and Stratton MST
RoyM
Forum Pro

Re: Hydro Transmission Problem

Postby lefty » Sat Oct 13, 2018 12:45 pm

RoyM wrote:There is probably an axle circlip or snap ring floating around inside along with the detent spring and ball for the bypass control.

That sounds like bad news.
lefty
Forum Pro

Return to Technical Discussion Forum