• Advertisement

10T502 Leakdown question

Use this forum to discuss small engines, and the equipment or machinery that they power. This is the main section for any technical help posts and related questions.

Re: 10T502 Leakdown question

Postby creia » Tue Oct 16, 2018 10:13 pm

[quote="bgsengine"[/quote] Yeah and it is more common on the horizontal shaft engines, which I assume you work with mostly.. that happens primarily from people being a little too ambitious with their screwdrivers - really outta be an inch-pounds torque screwdriver handy , you'd be amazed at the "feel" for those low torque specs compared to how tight you can get them by "guesswork"[/quote]

You are correct sir, we work on the old "Easy Spin" horizontal- shaft 3-8 HP Briggs engines. Early on, I was guilty of over torqing those Piusa-Jet carb to tank screws on a couple of engines MYSELF! :oops: :shock: As I soon learned, tighter is not always better when you have a gasket. You have to let the gasket do its job. We are real careful now and just snug them down (by feel) each one a little at a time so that the carb base goes down evenly. It is kind of like installing a spark plug in one of these aluminum heads. After awhile, you can do it by "feel" w/o stripping it out. (Yes, I've stripped out a couple of those years ago!) :oops:
Michael :)
creia
Forum Pro

Re: 10T502 Leakdown question

Postby KE4AVB » Wed Oct 17, 2018 7:31 am

The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Previous

Return to Technical Discussion Forum