• Advertisement

Rotary Parts

Use this forum to discuss small engines, and the equipment or machinery that they power. This is the main section for any technical help posts and related questions.

Rotary Parts

Postby Skywatcher » Sun Oct 21, 2018 3:17 pm

Greetings All

Are any of you finding it harder to get Rotary parts? My distributer in Edmonton says that getting Rotary parts shipped up from the US is just getting to be too much of a headache with customs, brokerage fees and duties to make the parts profitable. If I could get parts shipped to my pick-up point in the US, that would be great, but I don't do enough trade for Rotary to be bothered with me directly. Anyone have any ideas? Thanks,

Sky
A person who sees Quality and feels it as he works is a person who cares.
A person who cares about what he sees and does is a person who's bound to have some characteristics of Quality.
Robert M. Pirsig. (Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance)
Skywatcher
Forum Pro

Location: Southern Alberta. Where the wheatlands meet the Range.

Advertisement

Re: Rotary Parts

Postby KE4AVB » Sun Oct 21, 2018 4:08 pm

For me it just harder for all my aftermarket parts. We all can blame some of the problems on this stupid trade war that is going on. I got three distributors that Briggs parts that I can't get a single thing in aftermarket related to Briggs from.

Just last week I found that I will no longer be able to buy Zama carburetor kits for the Stihl equipment that I service; unless, I buy them through Stihl. The particular kit I was needing is 3x the price that I was paying for same kit through my Zama distributor.

For the parts in aftermarket I am currently going Amazon third parties if I want Rotary or Oregon parts at a fair price. For we just got to do our homework and buy either aftermarket or OEM depending on our overall costs.

I do have an account with Stens but my recent accusation of Gardner as a distributor they are just as high as my cost for the OEM belts; plus Stens just raised their prices too.

This trade war has already put out of business one my main aftermarket source which me selling parts at cost for over a month while fought to get into Gardner. And now OEMs are trying to put aftermarket companies out of business too. This is going to get ugly fast. My customers are already calling and asking for used v-belts.

Mentioning Customs I had to send an UC back to Canada last year for warranty repairs and the US Post Office wanted $90 just to ship it one way. By the time paid round trip shipping it would cost as much as a new unit. Us small shops and endusers pay out the rear to make up for all the discounts these guys give the larger companies. Some items I need I actually drive 100 miles one way to get them to avoid the shipping costs.

To honest all bad news in general is real depressing latety....
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby 38racing » Sun Oct 21, 2018 5:23 pm

Sky, alot of my aftermarket parts are rotary from bantsaw.com in Belleville Ontario. I wonder if I'll see problems with them.
38racing
Forum Pro

Postby RoyM » Sun Oct 21, 2018 7:57 pm

Skywatcher, I know the Rotary distributor in Edmonton well and appreciate your problem. Won't say any more on a public forum. :roll: The trade war is only making a bad situation worse, the customer is going to walk away from a dead piece of equipment and buy another $90 POS and kill the repair shops. It's already happened in other industries, so depressing.
Briggs and Stratton MST
RoyM
Forum Pro

Postby hanz63 » Sun Oct 21, 2018 10:47 pm

Rotary ships direct here in the states for free with $115 I think minimum. What is it by you to get shipped direct? Stens is $150 I think. Both my engine distributors have OEP and follow the no OEP for Briggs or the other no OEP for Kohler ETC.
hanz63
Forum Pro

Postby KE4AVB » Tue Oct 23, 2018 4:58 am

I know the Stens is $150 for free US shipments but I do order smaller amounts too and pay the flat rate shipping. Our Canadian members are having to pay customs, tariff charges, high shipping charges, and even other taxes just to get the parts. Some the stuff that is going is just plain business killing to drive us small shops out business.

They are going to need a lot more aggressive to drive me out. I might be fighting more than I once did to get the parts just I am not a dealer because I like my independence. This probably why I personally warranty the new engines I sell but the customer are welcome to carry to a servicing dealer if they want to. I still fairly good at procurement as I do use backdoors to get my parts legally. And no it not the five finger discount method. Some us independents do work together helping each other. It like my Stihl parts needs most are outrageous on the part prices but I do have one that sell them to me at a workable price, just can't have them order from the Stihl warehouse as the shipping charges are ridiculous.

The problem here is that many servicing dealers will not even service equipment under warranty if they didn't sell it. I even had Kohler to tell me to carry a couple defective coils into the local dealer for warranty replacement and none of them would not even honor the Kohler's request so I replaced the parts for the customer and charged him my cost for the parts. He had already contacted his dealer and were backlogged for three months and he didn't the time to have his commercial mower to be offline for three months.
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby 38racing » Tue Oct 23, 2018 7:29 am

My friend just had a husqvarna rider repaired. One shop is or was h dealer but told him to take to the dealer he bought it from. Wasn't expected to be a warranty repair. The dealer repairing it said he had to have 500 order to get a part order from husqvarna. Haven't heard if it turned out to be covered by warranty. Dealer was going to try
38racing
Forum Pro

Return to Technical Discussion Forum