• Advertisement

Riding Mower Fuel Tank Grommet

Use this forum to discuss small engines, and the equipment or machinery that they power. This is the main section for any technical help posts and related questions.

Riding Mower Fuel Tank Grommet

Postby dennis » Mon Oct 29, 2018 12:28 pm

The fuel tank grommet, or bushing, is leaking on a Poulan Pro Mod PD 22H42STA riding mower. The IPL calls for a 3645J bushing. I ordered one, but it is different than the bushing I pulled out of the bottom of the tank. It fits, but is has a straight "wall" that goes into the bottom of the tank. The original had a lip on it, to keep it from slipping out. With the fuel fitting that slips through it and that the fuel line hooks to installed, it is nice and tight. The question is, is this straight-sided grommet ok to use, or is one with a lip absolutely necessary?
dennis
Forum Pro

Advertisement

Re: Riding Mower Fuel Tank Grommet

Postby bgsengine » Mon Oct 29, 2018 12:52 pm

The lip is formed after installation and caused by swelling of the grommet once exposed to fuel.
How poor are they who have not patience. What wound did ever heal, but by degrees? - Iago (Othello Act II, Scene 3)
bgsengine
Briggs MST
Briggs MST

Postby dennis » Mon Oct 29, 2018 1:33 pm

The grommet that came out not only had a lip, but it was tapered too. This one was manufactured that way. I guess the question is, is the straight walled grommet safe to use in the bottom of a tank.
dennis
Forum Pro

Postby KE4AVB » Mon Oct 29, 2018 4:06 pm

Yes it will work fine. I have installed several of them in riding mowers, tillers, and generators. As BGS said it will squeeze into place once you install the adapter fitting. I even a very similar on Kohler engines with the large breather module.
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby dennis » Tue Oct 30, 2018 8:57 pm

Thanks, KE4AVB.
dennis
Forum Pro

Return to Technical Discussion Forum