• Advertisement

Merc-o-Tronic model 98 ignition analyser

Use this forum to discuss small engines, and the equipment or machinery that they power. This is the main section for any technical help posts and related questions.

Merc-o-Tronic model 98 ignition analyser

Postby wristpin » Fri Nov 02, 2018 6:42 pm

I have one of these acquired 40 years ago second hand. Even then it was impossible to get the correct Burgess 4F5H 7.5 volt battery in the UK and I modified the case to accommodate a battery of approximately the correct voltage that was physically bigger and available over here . Then that battery became unavailable and it's been sitting unused ever since!.
I do a lot of work on vintage engines with points, coils and condensers etc and it would be quite nice to have it up and running as well as my German Prufex set that requires a 230v mains supply. When car batteries had exposed cell terminals it was easy to take an 8v tapping but now, no exposed terminals.
Any suggestions?

Batteries of the day. Ever Ready 715, Olin 5605,Ray-o-vac 903, Mallory 903, Duracel PC903, Neda 903, RCA VS139
wristpin
Forum Pro

Advertisement

Re: Merc-o-Tronic model 98 ignition analyser

Postby bgsengine » Fri Nov 02, 2018 7:51 pm

maybe consider engineering yourself a transformer for a 9V battery (or a 12v automotive battery?) to step it down to 7.5V ? just a thought... just a matter of getting the winding count right I would imagine.. or maybe just buy one .. https://www.ebay.com/itm/9V-12V-15V-24V ... 2451433844
How poor are they who have not patience. What wound did ever heal, but by degrees? - Iago (Othello Act II, Scene 3)
bgsengine
Briggs MST
Briggs MST

Postby RoyM » Fri Nov 02, 2018 8:24 pm

I remember those well, had a shot that parked me on the floor. :D
Briggs and Stratton MST
RoyM
Forum Pro

Postby madmantrapper » Sun Nov 04, 2018 10:12 am

Use a voltage divider, never seen a transformer work on DC.
madmantrapper
Guide

Postby StarTech » Sun Nov 04, 2018 12:15 pm

Wirstpin,

If you say you have the room for the Rayovac 903 then it is still available here in the US; although, for a little more you could go with the 803 Alkaline instead of the zinc/carbon a long life and smaller too. As operating off batteries it depend on you amperage emand you use 5 D Cell Nicad 5Ah in series to give you 7.2 vdc if you operating short term and just recharge as needed.
StarTech

Return to Technical Discussion Forum