• Advertisement

Ariens Deluxe 28

Use this forum to discuss small engines, and the equipment or machinery that they power. This is the main section for any technical help posts and related questions.

Ariens Deluxe 28

Postby GaryG » Sat Nov 03, 2018 2:15 pm

I bought an Ariens Deluxe 28 snow thrower about 4 years ago, and have been having this problem for at least 3 seasons. Before the end of the first season it began acting like it was running out of fuel shortly after fully warming up. It would be temporarily cured by choking it a little. The folks at Ariens told me it was likely a gas cap problem, and sent me a new one under warranty. It worked well for a short while, then started in with the same problem again. I have been soaking a spare gas cap in cleaner and blowing it dry with compressed air, and that seemed to get me back to the minor annoyance level. I got the brute out of storage this past week, and ran it up to my garage. Now it wants about 2/3 choke to run smoothly. I've heard this gas cap story in a variety of small engine venues, but I'm starting to think I have a more serious problem. Any suggestions? (And no, "Buy a Toro" was not what I had in mind!)
GaryG

Advertisement

Re: Ariens Deluxe 28

Postby 38racing » Sat Nov 03, 2018 5:17 pm

Needing choke to run smooth is a sign of lean condition. Likely needs carb cleaning. You could first try a 50-50 mixture of gas and seafoam. It may smoke a bit and need choke to run smooth. Run for short periods and then let it sit. With more info on engine and carb it may be adjustable and just needs to be set richer.
38racing
Forum Pro

Postby GaryG » Sun Nov 04, 2018 4:19 pm

Thanks for the suggestion. I hate to show my ignorance, but what the heck--might as well go all in. What is seafoam? I'm not familiar with it in this context.
GaryG

Postby StarTech » Sun Nov 04, 2018 4:45 pm

Seafoam is a fuel additive which has several uses. Its primary purpose is to clean the fuel system of varnish and fuel deposits. It also cleans carbon from your combustion chamber to help reduce emissions and allow your vehicle to run better. You can also run it in your engine oil to remove sludge deposits.
StarTech

Postby fixer5000 » Mon Nov 05, 2018 7:29 am

i have the same unit. i always use a bout 4 ounces of seafoam in every 5 gallons of gas that passes through all my small engine machines. mine runs great and really blows the snow far
" GET THERE FAST BUT ARRIVE ALIVE "
fixer5000

Postby GaryG » Sat Nov 10, 2018 4:43 pm

It's looking like I might have dodged a bullet, thanks to your advice. I did the 50%/50% treatment, and it behaved just like you said--it produced lots of smoke and needed about 2/3 choke to run smoothly. I ran it until that mix was consumed, re-fueled with fresh gas and Sea Foam, and we'll see how things go. I ran it for about 5 minutes today, and it was able to run on only the first choke setting. That's already a distinct improvement, and I'm hoping that now having the treatment in the gas per instructions will improve it further.

This whole experience made me smile a little nostalgically. Back in the 1970's a friend of my father owned the auto parts store where I did most of my business. Dad was, by profession, an auto mechanic and sometime service manager at a local dealership. John, the parts guy, used to rib me because I was always falling for the next carburetor cleaner or fuel injector product, rather than diagnosing and repairing the problem. I used to rib him right back, asking why he sold such snake oil if they didn't work. I guess Sea Foam IS more miracle cure than snake oil, and I wish John was still with us so I could tease him about it!

I have been using Sta-Bil fuel stabilizer for several years, and have never had gas for any of my small engines go bad on me. But this Ariens seems really prone to gunk up even with higher octane gas and stabilizer. Thanks again for the tip about Sea Foam!
GaryG

Postby 38racing » Sat Nov 10, 2018 7:28 pm

When I was a young lad in the 50sand 60s my neighbour said the he added moth balls to his gas tank. Of course they are naptha based. I found an internet site that analysed seafoam and concluded it contains naptha. I make a home brew of 50 ml isopropyl alcohol with 100 ml of naptha fuel and 200 ml of diesel.
38racing
Forum Pro

Postby KE4AVB » Sun Nov 11, 2018 4:03 am

Just be aware not all moth balls are the same. Older mothballs consisted primarily of naphthalene, but due to naphthalene's flammability, many modern mothball formulations instead use 1,4-dichlorobenzene. The latter formulation may be somewhat less flammable, although both chemicals have the same NFPA 704 rating for flammability. Due to the health risks of 1,4-dichlorobenzene, and flammability of naphthalene, other substances like camphor are sometimes used.

I use ParaMoth in my store beehive hardware to kill and to prevent wax moth infestations so they must aired out before I put them back in use. It uses the 1,4-dichlorobenzene formula.
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby NO0C » Mon Nov 12, 2018 3:52 pm

Diesel fuel priced at $49.98/gal or $6.98/pt ;)

GaryG wrote:Thanks for the suggestion. I hate to show my ignorance, but what the heck--might as well go all in. What is seafoam? I'm not familiar with it in this context.
NO0C
Forum Pro

Return to Technical Discussion Forum