• Advertisement

quick question on pulley belts

Use this forum to discuss small engines, and the equipment or machinery that they power. This is the main section for any technical help posts and related questions.

quick question on pulley belts

Postby dart451 » Thu Nov 08, 2018 6:01 pm

Putting a new engine on a mixer...gonna have to shorten the belts slightly to make it fit in housing. Presently have two 4L350 belts on double pulleys...do I go 1" shorter or 1/2" shorter belt? The engine pulley and the mixer pulley are approx. 3" apart with the existing belt so I do not need too much to clear. I forget how much actual space you lose with 1" smaller belt. Does 1" mean 2" difference and 1/2" mean 1" shorter distance or am I out of the ballpark here?
dart451
Forum Pro

Advertisement

Re: quick question on pulley belts

Postby KE4AVB » Thu Nov 08, 2018 6:32 pm

I think it is the other way around. I believe 1" shorter belt would move the pulleys closer together by a 1/2". This does depends the size of the pulley in relation to each other too as belt angle affects the amount of movement.
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby dart451 » Thu Nov 08, 2018 6:49 pm

Ok, thanks KE4AVB...you're probably right!
dart451
Forum Pro

Postby 38racing » Fri Nov 09, 2018 9:56 am

38racing
Forum Pro

Postby madmantrapper » Fri Nov 09, 2018 12:00 pm

38racing wrote:http://www.calculatoredge.com/mech/vbelt%20length.htm

Very handy to know. I had a slide chart many years ago for this.
madmantrapper
Guide

Postby KE4AVB » Sat Nov 10, 2018 7:37 am

Just remember to use the pulley[s] effective diameter[s]. By this I mean if you have a dual belt size pulley[s] the smaller of the two belts will ride at a smaller effective diameter (ride deeper in the pulley v groove). I have been upgrading a few MTD rider decks the last few years with "B" belt instead of "A" belts which require longer v-belts because of the effective diameters. It takes a while to get to size conversion right due the 3 and 4 V pulleys involved in deck drive system. Plus MTD haven't always used the same spindle pulley diameter over the years.

On the 2005 42" G decks this requires a v-belt that is nearly 1-1/2" longer normally when going to the "B" v-belt. Now if the v-belt is borderline tight it will throw the v-belt as it does on my mower if I engage the deck when lowered on initial use but I must have this belt due the cutting conditions mower operates in. Not many of us or users needs to cut 1-1/2 foot tall grass on regular basis but I do several times due to having 6 acres to cut and need my cuttings into my shop operations hours due rainy conditions. It also why the mower has a 21 hp engine instead of the smaller 16.5 hp it came with from the factory.

Something else to think about on older mowers is pulley wear which why you need a shorter belt at times. But many times the pulleys are so worn that you need to replace them instead of changing belt sizes.
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby Walt 2002 » Sun Nov 11, 2018 9:12 pm

I have calculated them but any more I take an old belt, cut it and route it the way it goes then measure that belt.

Walt Conner
Walt 2002
Forum Regular

Return to Technical Discussion Forum