• Advertisement

Tecumseh HMSK100 engine

Use this forum to discuss small engines, and the equipment or machinery that they power. This is the main section for any technical help posts and related questions.

Tecumseh HMSK100 engine

Postby KE4AVB » Sat Nov 24, 2018 7:15 am

Anyone know if the crankshaft shims are or were available to the Tecumseh HMSK100 engine crankshaft? I trying the help a fellow on another forum and he has about .125 end play when the spec is .005-.027" (.127-.686 mm). Or if anything he could forgot to put back in place.

I haven't worked on a Tec horizontal in nearly 10 yrs. Even then I wasn't inside one.
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Advertisement

Re: Tecumseh HMSK100 engine

Postby StarTech » Fri Nov 30, 2018 9:40 am

May need to research the crankshaft OD in some the machine shop supply catalogs. Get one fairly close and had it machined to fit.

I have always why they bother to give us the specs if they not going to supply us the shims that we would need. Oh maybe they are just too cheap to do it.
StarTech

Postby KE4AVB » Fri Nov 30, 2018 9:52 am

If it was in my shop I would do that but it is not and probably the guy is a DIYer that have the access that I do to a machine shop.

Anyways I am working on an OHH50. The first Tecumseh I have seen in a few years. It has been sitting for quite a few years. I waiting on a valve stem seal now. Hopefully that is the last thing I need to get the go cart going again.
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby RoyM » Fri Nov 30, 2018 11:43 am

Interesting that you see so few of them. They were like belly buttons here, everyone had them on lawnmowers, portable welders and everything in between. Sears had them on Craftsman products for many years.
Briggs and Stratton MST
RoyM
Forum Pro

Postby KE4AVB » Fri Nov 30, 2018 12:03 pm

It seems that Tecumseh had a bad rep around here. Personally I see no difference once you know how to repair them. The V-twin with twin carbs did put me to thinking a little more but dealing auto with multiple carbs during my youth made things easier to understand.

Most operators around here prefer to just to buy a new walk behind mower whenever theirs gives problem mainly do to repair vs replacement cost. Very hard to justify the repair bills. Riders are a little different in this respect. Either way I seldom do overhauls any more as I can replace just as cost effective with a better warranty.

The main problem with Tecumseh engines now is parts availability. The engine I working now the valve stem seal was list as back ordered at all my vendors except a couple with Sears being one. The other vendor I haven't used in years due to costs but was still half that of the Sears price.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Return to Technical Discussion Forum