• Advertisement

Ariens Snow Blower

Use this forum to discuss small engines, and the equipment or machinery that they power. This is the main section for any technical help posts and related questions.

Ariens Snow Blower

Postby lefty » Sat Dec 01, 2018 7:28 pm

Model 920402
Serial: 038924

Engine Model PW2HK18650
Serial: 178E-ABGOQUVE1M

A friend received this machine for free when it was only 1 year old. It sat for a couple of seasons and then wouldn't start. I could tell by the smell it was bad gas so I cleaned the carb. Engine specs call for 16 oz of oil. I found 30 oz in the crankcase. I also noticed it had been leaking oil as it was running out from under the engine between the engine and the frame of the machine.

I'm guessing it was leaking due to being overfilled. No oil came from the seals so I assumed it blew out of the bottom of the sump gasket based on its location. I drained the oil and refilled to the proper level. It does not appear to be leaking now.

My question is if it did come out the sump gasket, does this mean that gasket is blown out and should be replaced? Or did it just weep by the gasket? Would it be ok to leave it alone and just monitor it?
lefty
Forum Pro

Advertisement

Re: Ariens Snow Blower

Postby StarTech » Sat Dec 01, 2018 7:55 pm

To look-up the IPL you format the number given as PW2HK18650178EABGOQUVE1M.

Engine gasket set is PN 20843001.

I first add an UV dye to the oil and run for 30 minutes and check for leaks. It might have been fuel laden oil leak. This UV dye takes the guess work out of the equation.
StarTech

Postby lefty » Sat Dec 01, 2018 8:30 pm

Starfire One wrote:To look-up the IPL you format the number given as PW2HK18650178EABGOQUVE1M.

Engine gasket set is PN 20843001.

I first add an UV dye to the oil and run for 30 minutes and check for leaks. It might have been fuel laden oil leak. This UV dye takes the guess work out of the equation.

Will do, thanks.

I thought it might be gas as well but there was no odor and the oil did not appear watered down at all.

I actually meant to post a 2nd question on this:

I thought I had this running pretty good with no surging or anything like that. But after checking the rpm's: Specs say 3600rpm and it's running at about 2000. Also, when I move the choke to about 3/4 closed, the rpm's go up to about 4000. I thought this to be strange but I'm no expert on these. This has the automatic carb with no throttle, just the linkage to the governor and it runs full throttle all the time.
lefty
Forum Pro

Postby StarTech » Sat Dec 01, 2018 10:36 pm

They are no different than any other 4 cycle engine. It is only winterize so it pickup heat off the exhaust to prevent carburetor icing.

It sounds either you still have a dirty carburetor or an air leak or maybe you have a carburetor gasket to engine installed wrong.
StarTech

Return to Technical Discussion Forum