• Advertisement

Troybilt Tractor

Use this forum to discuss small engines, and the equipment or machinery that they power. This is the main section for any technical help posts and related questions.

Troybilt Tractor

Postby lefty » Mon Dec 03, 2018 4:26 pm

Model: 13AJ609G766
Serial: 1D275H20163 000003

The muffler bracket/guard gave way on this and the owner ran both the guard and muffler over with the machine. Aside from destroying one of the blades, the muffler and bracket were badly damaged.

This may sound like a stupid question: I have the same muffler in my parts pile with the same dimensions but it is for a twin. So there are 2 holes in the top to receive each of the exhaust pipes. Can I use this muffler and just plug up the other hole by welding a little metal plate over the top of it? Or are the internal chambers designed in such a way that would prohibit this?

Thanks.
lefty
Forum Pro

Advertisement

Re: Troybilt Tractor

Postby Skywatcher » Mon Dec 03, 2018 6:08 pm

Hi Lefty

If the muffler is dimensionally identical with the same bolt hole pattern and one of the inlets aligns correctly with the header pipe from the existing engine, I see no harm in giving it a try. Bolt everything in place first and do a quick test run. If that works, temporarily plug the other inlet and try a second test run. If that also works, I'd say weld a plate over the other inlet and call it good. If it doesn't work, you haven't lost anything except a little time. If anyone else has a thought about this, please chime in. All the best,

Sky
A person who sees Quality and feels it as he works is a person who cares.
A person who cares about what he sees and does is a person who's bound to have some characteristics of Quality.
Robert M. Pirsig. (Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance)
Skywatcher
Forum Pro

Location: Southern Alberta. Where the wheatlands meet the Range.

Postby lefty » Mon Dec 03, 2018 9:25 pm

Skywatcher wrote:Hi Lefty

If the muffler is dimensionally identical with the same bolt hole pattern and one of the inlets aligns correctly with the header pipe from the existing engine, I see no harm in giving it a try. Bolt everything in place first and do a quick test run. If that works, temporarily plug the other inlet and try a second test run. If that also works, I'd say weld a plate over the other inlet and call it good. If it doesn't work, you haven't lost anything except a little time. If anyone else has a thought about this, please chime in. All the best,

Sky

Correct. The bolt pattern is exact. Looks like it's the exact same on the outside. I'll give it a shot. Win / win. I can save my buddy 70 bucks and I also have an "I told you so" for my wife, who thought I was crazy for keeping a rusty old muffler lying around.
lefty
Forum Pro

Postby Arkie » Tue Dec 04, 2018 7:28 am

I've blocked the un-needed ex port on MTD lawn tractor mufflers for Briggs engines to just use the single inlet with no problems. Instead of welding/brazing the port closed I just take a piece of aluminum sign material or thin sheet metal and use self tapping metal screws.
Arkie
Forum Pro

Postby lefty » Tue Dec 04, 2018 7:57 am

Arkie wrote:I've blocked the un-needed ex port on MTD lawn tractor mufflers for Briggs engines to just use the single inlet with no problems. Instead of welding/brazing the port closed I just take a piece of aluminum sign material or thin sheet metal and use self tapping metal screws.

Good idea. There are actually 4 little screw indentations around the ports for just such an occasion. Probably for some type of flange but they'll come in handy for that method. Thank you.
lefty
Forum Pro

Postby 38racing » Tue Dec 04, 2018 3:07 pm

Arkie wrote:I've blocked the un-needed ex port on MTD lawn tractor mufflers for Briggs engines to just use the single inlet with no problems. Instead of welding/brazing the port closed I just take a piece of aluminum sign material or thin sheet metal and use self tapping metal screws.

I thought that I had posted pretty much the same as this but apparently it never got posted. I did it on a single cylinder on a test bench. Worked fine.
38racing
Forum Pro

Postby lefty » Sun Dec 09, 2018 1:16 pm

Appreciate the advice. Unfortunately, it wasn't an exact match. There was an indentation on the original muffler which allowed room for the deck adjustment rod nut. The replacement has no such indentation. So a new muffler it is then.

On the same machine though, I have an unrelated question:

The owner reported that the seat safety switch was disconnected because it was allegedly draining the battery. He's under the impression that this is some sort of powered circuit but isn't it just a ground? In other words, if there's a frayed wire and it's grounding out, the machine wouldn't run when connected. But the machine operates fine when connected. He's ok with the way it is but since I'm still waiting for parts for the muffler job. Thought I'd keep myself busy maybe trying to figure this one out. Any advice and where to begin my diagnostic?
lefty
Forum Pro

Postby Skywatcher » Sun Dec 09, 2018 2:53 pm

Hi Lefty

Open partstree.com and put the model number of the tractor into the model field. Click on the 2004 option, then click on Electrical. This brings up a wiring diagram of the tractor's electrical circuitry. This should give you a pretty good idea of what's happening with this tractor. Hope this helps,

Sky
A person who sees Quality and feels it as he works is a person who cares.
A person who cares about what he sees and does is a person who's bound to have some characteristics of Quality.
Robert M. Pirsig. (Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance)
Skywatcher
Forum Pro

Location: Southern Alberta. Where the wheatlands meet the Range.

Postby 38racing » Sun Dec 09, 2018 4:19 pm

I've had problems with getting a wiring diagram for a white zt50. It has the grounding type metal tab seat switch common on most MTD products. the switch (2 separate metal strips) is usually obvious. Sitting on seat pushes tabs from grounding on a bracket. Big spring pulls the bracket. However the mtd manual I located for their zts showed a system with 3 relays that I don't have and a seat switch that passed 12v through it. IPL for your model has no schematic but it shows the metal tab grounding on the seat
38racing
Forum Pro

Postby bgsengine » Sun Dec 09, 2018 4:26 pm

38racing wrote:I've had problems with getting a wiring diagram for a white zt50. It has the grounding type metal tab seat switch common on most MTD products. the switch (2 separate metal strips) is usually obvious. Sitting on seat pushes tabs from grounding on a bracket. Big spring pulls the bracket. However the mtd manual I located for their zts showed a system with 3 relays that I don't have and a seat switch that passed 12v through it.
Depends on the production year (or even half year) so 2 identical model numbers can have completely different parts and wiring depending on what production year it is - had one Cub Cadet I recall , official parts lookup had one diagram but closer look at the model year info, found another one on a parts catalog (pdf format) downloaded that had different (and the one I needed) wiring diagram.. can't even rely on the mannufacturer's "official" parts catalogs online to be accurate.. (but usually those catalog errors are the fault of ARI that runs the software, not the manufacturer's)
How poor are they who have not patience. What wound did ever heal, but by degrees? - Iago (Othello Act II, Scene 3)
bgsengine
Briggs MST
Briggs MST

Next

Return to Technical Discussion Forum