• Advertisement

Chicago Electric Generator Parts

Use this forum to discuss small engines, and the equipment or machinery that they power. This is the main section for any technical help posts and related questions.

Chicago Electric Generator Parts

Postby Mr Mower Man » Tue Dec 11, 2018 3:06 pm

I have what looks to be a cheapo generator in my shop, made by Chicago Electric. It's a 6500W generator (model 66604). Owner let it sit for too long with old fuel in it, and now he wants the carburetor replaced. Anyone have a good idea about where to find parts for this unit? I did find a place online that has a carburetor & gaskets for it, but I get the feeling they're charging full retail and then some ($105).
Mr Mower Man
Forum Pro

Advertisement

Re: Chicago Electric Generator Parts

Postby KE4AVB » Tue Dec 11, 2018 4:25 pm

If your are looking at the GeneratorGURU site that is the one that HFT will refer you to.

https://www.generatorguru.com/carb-carburetor-complete-assembly-15132081/

Edit: And you can thank all the politicians world wide for all the price increases due to the trade war. I just purchased a Briggs engine a few weeks ago then when go to buy the same engine it had jumped $50 in price and this one is the Promo version.
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby creia » Tue Dec 11, 2018 5:12 pm

In my experiences anything with "Chicago Electric" on it means it is sold by Harbor Freight.
Michael
creia
Forum Pro

Postby KE4AVB » Tue Dec 11, 2018 5:58 pm

The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby Mr Mower Man » Tue Dec 11, 2018 9:13 pm

Mr Mower Man
Forum Pro

Postby Arkie » Wed Dec 12, 2018 8:00 pm

Them jiandong gen's (China) carb bowls and gas tanks rust really fast even with non-ethanol gas.

I've found that for storage if the carb bowl and the gas tank is drained of fuel then remove the carb bowl drain and send auto xmission fluid from the gas tank to the carb they seem to store longer. Just send gas to the carb to flush out the ATF when ready to run.
AND
Keep your fingers crossed crossed when you think it's going good. things you least expect will fail on those gen's. ;)
Arkie
Forum Pro

Postby bobodu » Thu Dec 13, 2018 6:14 am

Always look at ebay and Amazon when you can do with a cheap carb. Got one for my Stihl saw with gaskets, fuel lines, air filter and a spark plug for $15 and free shipping.
"Give me a fast ship, for I intend to go into harm's way."
bobodu
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Postby KE4AVB » Fri Dec 14, 2018 9:49 am

Yes it looks like we all will be installing the clone carbs for the Stihl equipment since Stihl has decided to be the bully on the block. My Zama repairs kit for the Stihl engines have gone from under $7 to $18 if the dealer has them in stock but if they got to order then they tack on $20 shc.They are just trying to force the customer to buy new equipment as my local dealer has a minimum labor charge of $100 just to replace a carburetor.

Per Zama USA
Zama is no longer allowed to provide Technical support for any Stihl products including carburetors. The Zama website will no longer update Stihl carburetors. Customers will now have to contact Stihl at 1 888 326-9643 or stihlcs@stihl.us for Technical support questions. Stihl owns the tooling rights to our carburetors which means they control every aspect of that carburetor such as pricing, availability, service parts, etc. Zama did sell some kits for Stihl products in the past however that has been stopped at Stihl's request. All kits now are only available through a Stihl dealer.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby bgsengine » Fri Dec 14, 2018 10:03 am

KE4AVB wrote:Yes it looks like we all will be installing the clone carbs for the Stihl equipment since Stihl has decided to be the bully on the block. My Zama repairs kit for the Stihl engines have gone from under $7 to $18 if the dealer has them in stock but if they got to order then they tack on $20 shc.They are just trying to force the customer to buy new equipment as my local dealer has a minimum labor charge of $100 just to replace a carburetor.

Per Zama USA
Zama is no longer allowed to provide Technical support for any Stihl products including carburetors. The Zama website will no longer update Stihl carburetors. Customers will now have to contact Stihl at 1 888 326-9643 or stihlcs@stihl.us for Technical support questions. Stihl owns the tooling rights to our carburetors which means they control every aspect of that carburetor such as pricing, availability, service parts, etc. Zama did sell some kits for Stihl products in the past however that has been stopped at Stihl's request. All kits now are only available through a Stihl dealer.

Not so much being a bully, as they are trying to protect dealers and their brand from the china clones.. Zama being in China, Ive long suspected their tooling and facilities were being used as a source for the cheap china clone carbs (as well as their Q.A. Rejects bin) I'd guess Stihl stepped in and has a rep at the factory that monitors all tooling and production to try and prevent the knockoffs from entering the market from that source. (Part of what's going on with the trade war - china companies getting their hands on patented technology to run off cheap knock-off copies of expensive designs.. Can't sell carburetors any more on ebay or amazon unless I take a 75% loss... or the few buyers that are a little more careful to make sure they get genuine OEM parts )
How poor are they who have not patience. What wound did ever heal, but by degrees? - Iago (Othello Act II, Scene 3)
bgsengine
Briggs MST
Briggs MST

Postby KE4AVB » Fri Dec 14, 2018 1:19 pm

This I partially disagree on as I was buying Zama Genuine OEM kits from the Zama Distributor and Stihl has even stop Zama from selling the kits to the distributors. It is one sure way to get us independent shop to start buying the China stuff as we know what we paid in the past for the same kits. What Stihl is doing is actually going to hurt the dealers as several of my customers have already quit Stihl opting to go with Echo and Husqvarna.

The problem is Zama USA is in my backdoor being that they are in Franklin, Tn and they are refusing the sale the kits that I was buying the Zama distributor. By from the dealers I am having to both Stihl's markup and the dealer's markup plus shipping. Either way to me they are price gouging the independent shops.

They are wanting the customer to use the dealer's shops but if the dealer's shop can't even repair an item under warranty it doesn't speak well of them does it? This happen this Spring at a Stihl dealer here where they didn't even know to pressure/vac test an Hedger engine as it surging like it had a bad seal. They had it in the shop for 3 weeks and return it in a non running condition. The hedger was dieseling when it went in and came out not running at all. I ended up repairing it myself for the customer.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Next

Return to Technical Discussion Forum