• Advertisement

Chicago Electric Generator Parts

Use this forum to discuss small engines, and the equipment or machinery that they power. This is the main section for any technical help posts and related questions.

Re: Chicago Electric Generator Parts

Postby bgsengine » Fri Dec 14, 2018 1:57 pm

Well yeah, Definitely Stihl (and other OPE Manufacturers moving the same direction) are shooting themselves in the foot , and definitely not helping their dealer *service* network in any way by jacking up prices like that.. Briggs seems to be going the same direction as well, making repair parts so much more expensive it just isn't worth repairing the machine anyway... focusing instead on just replacing engines or major components with minimal skill needed..

I've been actually putting a great deal of my inventory on ebay/amazon and elsewhere at closeout pricing and not re-stocking stuff - I can buy a pretty decent off-market equivalent part for less than half the cost of the OEM part (at dealer cost) from Briggs distributor.. So.. liquidate inventory, and just order in as needed, I almost never see any units in for warranty repairs anyway (Briggs sends them to a "Diamond Dealer" 30 minutes away from here) So I have no real valid business reason to stock OEM parts any more.. But I still think the Stihl move to change terms on their contract with Zama is more about protecting their branding and parts supply - if the chinese can't steal Zama's tooling any more, they can't readily duplicate the new Stihl designs,having to instead do their own R&D to reverse-engineer the components.. not gonna stop them at all, but likely will at least slow them down. It took less than a year for the China sellers to start dumping their clone version of the new Briggs plastic body carbs... So I don't think what they are trying to do is going to help them or their dealers at all.
How poor are they who have not patience. What wound did ever heal, but by degrees? - Iago (Othello Act II, Scene 3)
bgsengine
Briggs MST
Briggs MST

Re: Chicago Electric Generator Parts

Postby KE4AVB » Fri Dec 14, 2018 2:07 pm

I 'm Cutting my inventory quite a bit too. Down from 35K to under 20K and dropping. No point stocking things that the locals are just buying off Ebay and Amazon. I still put on the parts but it costs extra. I had a customer wanting the buy a set of throttle springs for a Honda engine. He was wanting at same price as they were on Amazon and say it was going to cost $10 in shipping. Guess what my shipping is higher from the distributor than the shipping on those cloned springs. I just sent him on his merry way.
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Previous

Return to Technical Discussion Forum