• Advertisement

EFI equipment

Use this forum to discuss small engines, and the equipment or machinery that they power. This is the main section for any technical help posts and related questions.

EFI equipment

Postby bluemower » Thu Dec 20, 2018 11:06 am

Even some of the residential equipment is showing up with electronic fuel injection. Cub Cadet is installing Kohler and Chinese efi engines on the mowers at the ranch supply stores. I was told this is also being developed for the single cylinder equipment.

What type of problems are techs seeing and how are you preparing for this new technology?
bluemower
Guide

Advertisement

Re: EFI equipment

Postby StarTech » Thu Dec 20, 2018 12:31 pm

Main I see right now other the learning curve is the test equipment costs. First the Briggs test equipment is about $250 and currently there is a limited standard for test equipment. Both Stihl and Husqvarna had been running electronic controlled carburetors for several years now. Each has their own testers. Now ATVs and UTVs are already on the market with twin cylinders. I got one sitting at AVB place right now with Subaru EH twin engine that is fuel injection used in a Bobcat (Polaris). Only had 6 psi on a fuel pump that supposedly takes 60 psi to operate the injector correctly. I do know the Cam AM EFI tester is over $1500.

As for EFI Robin/Subaru had a system out for a while for single cylinder engines but it was deem a complete failure and they went back carburetors. Constant injector problems.

But this is the path OEMs are going on the small engines to meet EPA rules on emissions. Just another nightmare at the beginning like automobiles but at least they can build with that knowledge if they work with the auto industry.
StarTech

Return to Technical Discussion Forum