• Advertisement

Craftsman snowblower problem

Use this forum to discuss small engines, and the equipment or machinery that they power. This is the main section for any technical help posts and related questions.

Craftsman snowblower problem

Postby Josef » Fri Feb 07, 2014 3:59 pm

I have a 2004 Craftsman 27” 8hp snowblower that has seen little use. It began this year running weakly, and tending to surge rhythmically. It made it through the first snowfall, but halfway through the second it quit. It will restart OK, but dies about 15-45 seconds later. Successive restarts die a bit quicker. Going to half choke makes it last slightly longer. I’ve pulled the carb, blown out all the passages, hit them with carb cleaner as well and run a fine wire into all the passages I could get to. Also blew out the fuel line back to the tank. Nothing appeared gunked up at all, but since it seemed likely to be a fuel problem I did all the above anyway. No change whatsoever in the symptoms following the above. I then tried spraying some fuel directly into the carb after starting it (as it began to quit), and that only kept it running a few seconds longer. My conclusion is that it isn’t a fuel problem after all. While I had the carb off I did notice that there was some bluing on the stem for the intake valve (just above where the valve widens out). So now I am thinking that perhaps the intake valve begins to stick as the head heats up (resulting in some burning of the mixture before it enters the cylinder, thereby heating the valve stem). A compression check yielded 55-60 psi while the engine was cold. Your thoughts/suggestions?
Josef

Advertisement

Re: Craftsman snowblower problem

Postby KE4AVB » Fri Feb 07, 2014 4:11 pm

We need the model of the blower form the model serial number sticker to help diagnose your problem.
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby Tim » Fri Feb 07, 2014 4:27 pm

Engine model numbers needed for sure. before you go messing with the valves hook up a cheap spark checker and see if your losing spark as it dies out. coils can act the way you descibed your symptoms..then you've ruled out fuel and spark.

Tim
Tim

Postby Josef » Fri Feb 07, 2014 5:51 pm

The Model No. is 536.881800, Serial No. 75461275411XQ210, Date 2004.10.04.

I don't have a spark checker, but later I'll hook up my timing light and see if it keeps triggering as the engine dies. It's not clear to me though why a bad coil would make it run weakly or keep surging like it did during the first snowstorm. I have a long driveway, so it took perhaps an hour and a half to clear it - that would be a long time for a coil to hang on the edge of giving enough spark to run ok.
Josef

Postby StarTech » Fri Feb 07, 2014 6:24 pm

When it comes to electronics in coil trigger circuits nothing surprises me.
StarTech

Postby madmantrapper » Fri Feb 07, 2014 6:41 pm

It would surely surprise me.
madmantrapper
Guide

Postby bgsengine » Fri Feb 07, 2014 6:55 pm

Me, too. I have never seen a coil do that. from the looks of things, probably gonna have to splurge and get a new carb - Ive seen THAT a lot on these machines - the surging is the clue - even the wondrous ultrasonic really cannot solve the issue because the carburetor itself is simply too lean. MTD actually has updated most of their carburetors (several times) used on these machines (and kits so to speak are NLA if they ever were) so best bet is to plan on getting a new carburetor.

Ive seen coils get hot and fail. But it is unlikely for coil to run for that long before failure, or cause a surge (despite a post earlier today where a shop *claimed* the coil was the problem)

Plugs , yes Ive seen them cause a hunting (but that was actually a lean misfire) and even plug caps (boots) , but never the coil itself, to date, and I'd be very surprised if it was actually the coil. I think the first thing to solve will be the surging problem, which, odds are excellent it will need a new carburetor, and once THAT is solved, the rest of the problems should take care of themselves.. and if not, then you've got 2 separate problems.
How poor are they who have not patience. What wound did ever heal, but by degrees? - Iago (Othello Act II, Scene 3)
bgsengine
Briggs MST
Briggs MST

Postby Deere2me » Fri Feb 07, 2014 8:16 pm

Josef wrote:I have a 2004 Craftsman 27” 8hp snowblower that has seen little use. It began this year running weakly, and tending to surge rhythmically. It made it through the first snowfall, but halfway through the second it quit. It will restart OK, but dies about 15-45 seconds later. Successive restarts die a bit quicker. Going to half choke makes it last slightly longer. I’ve pulled the carb, blown out all the passages, hit them with carb cleaner as well and run a fine wire into all the passages I could get to. Also blew out the fuel line back to the tank. Nothing appeared gunked up at all, but since it seemed likely to be a fuel problem I did all the above anyway. No change whatsoever in the symptoms following the above. I then tried spraying some fuel directly into the carb after starting it (as it began to quit), and that only kept it running a few seconds longer. My conclusion is that it isn’t a fuel problem after all. While I had the carb off I did notice that there was some bluing on the stem for the intake valve (just above where the valve widens out). So now I am thinking that perhaps the intake valve begins to stick as the head heats up (resulting in some burning of the mixture before it enters the cylinder, thereby heating the valve stem). A compression check yielded 55-60 psi while the engine was cold. Your thoughts/suggestions?

Did you check the valve clearance, in. .004-.006 exh. .009-.011 ? Also did you clean the bowl nut, which is also the main jet?
You may need to really clean/scour it good. Its a bit tricky if you don't have the correct cleaning tools. I've seen a modified torch tip cleaner set that has had the pilot/lead in tip cut off just below the spiral, which facilitated reaching the jet. Using a slightly smaller sized spiral, with vigor appeared to do the trick! Of course, if you have a small number drill set, it makes cleaning the jet a tad easier.
http://ppeten.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=836

I quote:
"Don't pay any attention to old Dummy."- okie
"pompous a**hole"- steinuit13
"I agree, Deere is a negative around here to say the least"-mek a nik
Nice, huh?
Deere2me
Forum Pro

Postby peanut budda » Fri Feb 07, 2014 8:42 pm

With Briggs you will never see more than 55-60 psi on compression. If you do suspect a valve adjustment issue or some serious carbon build up, if less suspect internal damage, wear or mis-adjusted valves.

have you checked the tank vent ??? vacuum lock can and will happen if tank vent is plugged

you blew out the carb... rubber tip or metal tip on the inlet needle ??? Metal tip will tend to act funny. it can stick in the rubber seat more so than a rubber tipped needle. I would purchase a rebuild kit and recheck after rebuild.
All the certifications in the world don't mean a thing if you don't know how to use your most important tool !!!
peanut budda

Postby Deere2me » Fri Feb 07, 2014 9:00 pm

peanut budda wrote:With Briggs you will never see more than 55-60 psi on compression. If you do suspect a valve adjustment issue or some serious carbon build up, if less suspect internal damage, wear or mis-adjusted valves.

have you checked the tank vent ??? vacuum lock can and will happen if tank vent is plugged

you blew out the carb... rubber tip or metal tip on the inlet needle ??? Metal tip will tend to act funny. it can stick in the rubber seat more so than a rubber tipped needle. I would purchase a rebuild kit and recheck after rebuild.

???????????????
Ain't no kits avail for them Ruixing carbs.
http://ppeten.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=836

I quote:
"Don't pay any attention to old Dummy."- okie
"pompous a**hole"- steinuit13
"I agree, Deere is a negative around here to say the least"-mek a nik
Nice, huh?
Deere2me
Forum Pro

Next

Return to Technical Discussion Forum