• Advertisement

Horsepower class action lawsuit

Use this forum to discuss small engines, and the equipment or machinery that they power. This is the main section for any technical help posts and related questions.

Re: Horsepower class action lawsuit

Postby KE4AVB » Wed Mar 06, 2019 10:02 am

It wasn't that the labeling was wrong as much as how big the torelances allowed for a spec'd engine once it was in production. A big difference between the old +-15% and the new +-5% tolerance ratings but of course someone will even complain that their engine is 5% less powerful than a neighbor's engine is too much of a variance. Never heard anyone griping that their engine was 15% more powerful than the label size.

I just when someone will a class action suit over screw specs? Most are smaller and shorter than the spec'd size. I just went through this as I had 3/8 hole that every 3/8 screw I tried was too loose in. Finally had to oversize to a true 7/16 shouldered screw to get a tight fit for pivot point. That require buying a 7/16 screw with threaded portion long than I needed in order to re-thread to the length I need while maintaining a shoulder at the pivot point.

Lumber is the same. What once was a true 2x4 changed to 1.75 x 3.5 and now even that is smaller as the last 2x4 plank I used was 3.25 wide and I don't remember the thickness but it was off too. That makes hard to replace older ones during remodels. In order to replace one you either got shim the new board or rip a wider board down to spec.
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Re: Horsepower class action lawsuit

Postby hanz63 » Wed Mar 06, 2019 11:02 am

Yeah, the lumber thing is crazy. Sometimes I wonder what enchanted forest lumber now a days comes from. Especially buying wider lumber you pretty much have to source it all from the same place. Put a tape across a 2 x 10 at Lowes then Depot and one is 1/4" narrower than the next.
hanz63
Forum Pro

Previous

Return to Technical Discussion Forum