• Advertisement

Tuff Torque K46BT Transmission

Use this forum to discuss small engines, and the equipment or machinery that they power. This is the main section for any technical help posts and related questions.

Tuff Torque K46BT Transmission

Postby Skywatcher » Wed Mar 27, 2019 6:15 pm

Greetings All

Have a Husqvarna tractor in my shop with a leaking axle seal. The tranny is out, pressure washed, on the bench and have the new seal ready to go in, how do I get the old seal out? Once I have the new seal in, what type of oil does this unit take, and how full do I fill it. Thanks in advance,

Sky

Tractor:
Make = AYP Husqvarna
Model = YTH21K42
Type = 960480040-00
S/N = 060713D003735

Transmission:

Make = Tuff Torq
Model = K46BT
Spec = 7A545084181
S/N = 46BT1128590
A person who sees Quality and feels it as he works is a person who cares.
A person who cares about what he sees and does is a person who's bound to have some characteristics of Quality.
Robert M. Pirsig. (Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance)
Skywatcher
Forum Pro

Location: Southern Alberta. Where the wheatlands meet the Range.

Advertisement

Re: Tuff Torque K46BT Transmission

Postby KE4AVB » Wed Mar 27, 2019 7:29 pm

Probably the easiest way is to split the case and remove the axle[s] by removing the U shims and the U shaped keeper. Otherwise it will be a bear to remove and replace the seal[s].

The oil is 5w50 full synthetic, 3 Liters. Can used SAE 10W-30 Class but I would not recommend that as thins too during the summer and too thick during the winter.

M8 screws are torqued to 16-18 ft-lbs
M10 screws are torqued to 33-47 ft-lbs

Seal with RTV and must wait 24 hrs to cure before adding oil.
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby Skywatcher » Tue Apr 02, 2019 8:54 pm

Hi KE4

Thank you for your reply and technical advice. While reading through your reply, I got to thinking about the amount of work that appeared to be involved to just change one seal and thought there must be a quicker easier way. Thinking back to my diesel mechanic days and removing seals and bushings from shafts and axles etc., I thought I'd try an old trick. Used a half round cape chisel to curl about a quarter of an inch of the seal shell in about one eighth of an inch in towards the axle. This gave me just enough purchase to be able to pop the seal out with a screw driver. Cleaned all the rough edges from the axle so as not to damage the new seal, greased the axle and slid the new seal into place. This was 4 days ago, not a drop of oil has leaked since, so I'm calling the repair good. All the best,

Sky
A person who sees Quality and feels it as he works is a person who cares.
A person who cares about what he sees and does is a person who's bound to have some characteristics of Quality.
Robert M. Pirsig. (Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance)
Skywatcher
Forum Pro

Location: Southern Alberta. Where the wheatlands meet the Range.

Postby KE4AVB » Wed Apr 03, 2019 12:47 am

Yes that works as long as the axle rust free and nick free. Here it seems every axle is rusty but of course seals are not that expensive to replace if sourced at a reasonable price. Get got to have the seal number to order out of Anaheim, California.

Plus you got to install the new seal the correct way. I replaced a seal on a Yanmar tractor that someone installed backwards. No wonder it was leaking.
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Return to Technical Discussion Forum