• Advertisement

Toro oil filters?

Use this forum to discuss small engines, and the equipment or machinery that they power. This is the main section for any technical help posts and related questions.

Toro oil filters?

Postby hanz63 » Fri Mar 29, 2019 9:55 am

So on rare occasion I get to work on these Titans that have the Toro engine. The filter looks to be the same as the MTD Packaged Powermore one. 136-7848 is the Toro number. 951-12690 is the MTD. I seem to remember that the filter has to have more of a dish to it for the nut on the filter mounting nipple. What does everyone out there use?
hanz63
Forum Pro

Advertisement

Re: Toro oil filters?

Postby bgsengine » Fri Mar 29, 2019 11:27 am

Very well could be identical since MTD builds some consumer grade units for Toro. However it can be difficult to find any cross reference, sometimes you'll find a belt or other parts with the MTD part number still on it, and when you do, add that to your notes, sometimes you get enough unique MTD part numbers to be able to reverse-check and cross a Toro unit to an MTD model number that may be virtually identical... Some examples where you might find MTD part numbers -oil filters,air filters, belts, blades, blade adapters, sometimes you'll find the MTD Powermore engine model still engraved in the block, and some luck sometimes with google if that model number happens to be called out in an MTD parts catalog..

BTW It's also possible that MTD may be bought out by Stanley Black & Decker (They relatively recently took a very large stake in MTD shares with an option to buy more)

But yeah, with experience you get to recognize an MTD built unit (as opposed to Toro) based on the construction of the unit, despite the labels, badges, etc.. which can help a lot in finding parts if you are not a Toro dealer (and even if you are - some MTD Original parts are even cheaper at dealer cost than the aftermarket versions)
How poor are they who have not patience. What wound did ever heal, but by degrees? - Iago (Othello Act II, Scene 3)
bgsengine
Briggs MST
Briggs MST

Postby KE4AVB » Fri Mar 29, 2019 1:24 pm

Though I did find the two filter cross-able, I did find that you can use the Fram PH4967 oil filter. Your local Wal-mart should have this.
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby 38racing » Fri Mar 29, 2019 2:44 pm

I was surprised when a friend brought his toro to me which almost duplicated a white outdoor by mtd. His used mtd numbers for belts and blades.
38racing
Forum Pro

Postby hanz63 » Fri Mar 29, 2019 11:50 pm

I'm not sure if it is a Powermore or what. I think last year I crossed it to a Stens somehow. But at the last bit of snug, it hits solid- like the inner base hits the nipple. The MTD filter insides shape is identical. I just worry about clearance there and thread size. I don't know if you can even screw something that's 3/4 on a 20mm nipple but should you do it the other way around a surprise may be around the corner.

I'm beat. This week started by doing PM on rider after rider that basically were barely used since last year. Literally when I looked at last year's service orders, it took to the sixth rider for the cumulative number of clock hours were over 100 for the group. Seriously. And today was all rough, rusty dare to not go down the rabbit hole type of stuff.
hanz63
Forum Pro

Postby KE4AVB » Sat Mar 30, 2019 4:07 am

The 4P90 uses a 3/4-16 nipple and can use the Briggs short oil filter., just to remember to check the oil screen and have a new o-ring on hand for it. The Fram PH4967 is also for a 3/4-16 nipple. So it looks like nipples are the same thread and pitch just a clearance issue.

This week for me it was things that has been sitting for a couple years or been rigged to work. Even the Yanmar someone drilled a hole in the shifter and put in a cotter key instead replacing the snap ring. No wonder it wore out the first/second shift fork which costs $135 just they were willing to buy a $0.75 snap ring. On that supposedly uses hydraulic oil not the gear oil they have in it.

These so called mechanics really makes it looks bad us small shops mechanics. I even had a customer acting like he knew more about the metal Briggs 130000 horizontal series fuel tank. The small cup in the tank was badly rust and he refused to accept that he needed a new tank instead wanted me to clean that area. So I did just to please him and the rust remover clean out the rust and now it has through holes. Still needed a new $128 tank; just wasted my time.

Just waiting for the border to close so they can cost even more. At least I get my Briggs order in after the close of business today.

The Troybilt ZTR that came in for a PM ended up needing over $400 in repairs because the owner shorted out the voltage regulator and had a bad starter along with worn blades and a nearly broken in two aluminum battery cable.

Then there is the JD950A that came in with an uncontrolled engine that appeared to be a bad governor but instead was a cheap throttle linkage clip worn out. Of course JD and Kawasaki both over $100 for the upgraded throttle shaft. But now I got boot both rear tires today as those automotive tire string plugs are leaking shile await on a new shaft. They are not meant for off road use. Fighting the tire slime is going to be a mess.

Overall it has one heck of week with nearly 2K in part orders placed. I think my UPS driver has finally learned where my shop is as he has been here everyday this week. And the season just started.
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby 38racing » Sat Mar 30, 2019 11:11 am

On the subject of crossing oil filters. A friend asked me about an alternative for his Kubota. I crossed it to a ph2808. Then I googled for a cross on it. Got a list of 584 filters . in each brand there are many. There are even 5 kubotas. If Kubota has 5 different numbers certainly the filters are somehow different? Same for wix.
38racing
Forum Pro

Postby bgsengine » Sat Mar 30, 2019 2:55 pm

38racing wrote:On the subject of crossing oil filters. A friend asked me about an alternative for his Kubota. I crossed it to a ph2808. Then I googled for a cross on it. Got a list of 584 filters . in each brand there are many. There are even 5 kubotas. If Kubota has 5 different numbers certainly the filters are somehow different? Same for wix.
Sometimes the only difference or variation may be the size of the can, a few microns of difference in filter media, with or without bypass,check valves,(operating position), etc. In some cases maybe even color of the paint on the can, or a change in gasket design (a few millimeters diameter or thickness, etc) and a lot of aftermarket "will fit" cross references are based on not much more than thread and gasket... as in they'll fit and they'll seal , but whether they work as original design called for is anybody's guess. - for example, if you have a filter that should mount in a vertical orientation but thread-down , might require a drainback valve, even if it is otherwise identical to a filter that mounts threads-up (which would not need anti-drainback) , using a filter with no drainback check valve where one is required would mean engine will spend several seconds with no lubrication. (and in some cases, oil pump can lose its prime) So, not always a wise thing to trust an aftermarket cross-reference without detailed specs on the filter (and the filter it is replacing)
How poor are they who have not patience. What wound did ever heal, but by degrees? - Iago (Othello Act II, Scene 3)
bgsengine
Briggs MST
Briggs MST

Postby KE4AVB » Sat Mar 30, 2019 4:04 pm

Bingo...
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Return to Technical Discussion Forum