• Advertisement

Toro PP model 20332 auto choke

Use this forum to discuss small engines, and the equipment or machinery that they power. This is the main section for any technical help posts and related questions.

Toro PP model 20332 auto choke

Postby jwales » Mon Apr 01, 2019 3:36 pm

Have this toro personal pace with a B & S auto choke set-up. Getting it ready for the season. Had difficulty getting to start. pulled the air cleaner cover off and noticed the choke was not fully closed, adjusted the arm and it started but did not run strong. Was hesitating even after a few minutes of running. The carb had been cleaned last season in the USC and new gaskets. Wondering if the auto choke lever behind the muffler could be going bad. have not taken off muffler to examine yet. Anyone have issues with this type of choke system before? It ran good last year.
Thanks, Joe
jwales
Guide

Advertisement

Re: Toro PP model 20332 auto choke

Postby KE4AVB » Mon Apr 01, 2019 5:58 pm

Did you adjust the Ready Start choke per the following instructions?

The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby hanz63 » Mon Apr 01, 2019 10:39 pm

Every once in a while you have to replace the thermostat on one of these. It sounds like once you get the choke working, you may need to zip though the carb once again if the choke has opened it it still seems anemic. Lots of these by me plug the little brass vent at the entrance of the venturi strangely enough.
hanz63
Forum Pro

Postby jwales » Tue Apr 02, 2019 8:25 am

Thanks for the info. KE4AVB I know I did not include the engine number, but the toro I have is not an OHV and the choke link is plastic and not adjustable. I will take a closer look at the thermostat and also clean the carb again and see what the result is.
jwales
Guide

Postby hanz63 » Tue Apr 02, 2019 10:06 am

Pretty much the plastic arm, choke shaft and the thermostat should move freely. You bend the rounded part to the thermostat should an adjustment fix you up. These too have a little assist spring that hooks on the edge of the shroud that sometimes gets missed or the shroud flopped around on the wrong side of the tab.
hanz63
Forum Pro

Postby jwales » Wed Apr 10, 2019 12:50 pm

Well I inspected the thermostat and choke plate and all seems well and moving freely. I ran the carb throught the USC one more time and when I was attaching the carb to the engine I discovered that plate was loose, so I tightened that up. Wont start on the first pull when cold but it does on the second pull!
Thanks for the advice.
jwales
Guide

Return to Technical Discussion Forum