• Advertisement

Craftsman Tractor Won't Start.

Use this forum to discuss small engines, and the equipment or machinery that they power. This is the main section for any technical help posts and related questions.

Re: Craftsman Tractor Won't Start.

Postby lefty » Wed Apr 24, 2019 10:24 pm

I, unfortunately, don't have the tool to measure the cylinder. But you are correct, I can see the ring end gap. It looks big to me. Perhaps I could get something in there to size it up and then check it with a set of calipers. I think I'm going to have to take the head back off anyway because I got some leakage on the exhaust valve now. I'll check that out. Thanks.
lefty
Forum Pro

Postby bobodu » Thu Apr 25, 2019 5:26 am

"Give me a fast ship, for I intend to go into harm's way."
bobodu
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Postby lefty » Thu Apr 25, 2019 9:54 pm

Thank you. I'm having yet another problem. One of the lifters now. I didn't touch them at all but the exhaust will not allow the valve to close. Almost like it's hung up in there. So at TDC, or anywhere in the stroke, the exhaust valve remains open about 1/4 of an inch. It appears to actuate the valve normally but doesn't close. Should I pull that out? If so, what am I looking for? I saw somewhere that when they go bad, the opposite happens. Are they supposed to compress at all?
lefty
Forum Pro

Postby lefty » Sun Apr 28, 2019 11:00 am

So I got this one going. I'm changing the oil and the service manual says 64 oz. There's a sticker on the machine itself with some useful info such as part numbers for consumables and such. The sticker says 48oz. The machine has an oil filter. I'll likely start with 48 and then add as needed but I'm just curious as to how craftsman and kohler could be so far off. Only thing I can think of is that someone did an engine swap. But the owner says no.
lefty
Forum Pro

Postby NO0C » Sun Apr 28, 2019 12:12 pm

Maybe one figure is with filter change, the other without filter change?
NO0C
Forum Pro

Postby KE4AVB » Sun Apr 28, 2019 12:37 pm

Not all stickers on mowers are correct...Just this year that everything on the supply sticker was wrong. The customer ordered deck belt and blades for per the label part numbers. When they came in I knew just by looking at them were for a 42" and not the 46" he said he had. I got the model from him and sure the numbers were wrong.

As for the Kohler CV490 it is 2qt [1.9 L] +-. The figure is for a dry sump and some is always left in it so it will generally hold a little less on oil changes. Most small Kohler filter holds 8 oz and the larger ones closer to 12 oz. Engines without oil filter are closer to 48 oz capacity.
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby lefty » Sun Apr 28, 2019 1:42 pm

You just described it perfectly. Almost to the oz of where I'm at right now.

Tough to creep your way up to it with new oil. If my memory serves me, isn't there like some sort of dye or another way to make the dipstick more readable with new oil? As I get older, my eyes are failing me.
lefty
Forum Pro

Postby bgsengine » Sun Apr 28, 2019 1:50 pm

lefty wrote:You just described it perfectly. Almost to the oz of where I'm at right now.

Tough to creep your way up to it with new oil. If my memory serves me, isn't there like some sort of dye or another way to make the dipstick more readable with new oil? As I get older, my eyes are failing me.

What I do for those is wipe dipstick completely dry with a rag then check by holding it at an angle to a light source and you can see where the dry ends and wet (oil) begins
How poor are they who have not patience. What wound did ever heal, but by degrees? - Iago (Othello Act II, Scene 3)
bgsengine
Briggs MST
Briggs MST

Postby KE4AVB » Sun Apr 28, 2019 2:19 pm

It was even harder to read with new hot synthetic 5w30 in my personal mower. When hot the oil is like water. At least now with 10+ hrs I can see the wet as BGS suggests.

At least on my next oil change changing to 15W50 full synthetic. I just thinking my my neighbor that has 0w20 synthetic in his Toyota PU.
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby lefty » Sun Apr 28, 2019 2:52 pm

My neighbor just bought a John Deere with an oil filter the size of a mortar. He says all the oil is in the filter and you just change it with no need to drain. I never heard of it but it sounds convenient. What's the consensus on this?
lefty
Forum Pro

PreviousNext

Return to Technical Discussion Forum