• Advertisement

Remington Weed wacker question

Use this forum to discuss small engines, and the equipment or machinery that they power. This is the main section for any technical help posts and related questions.

Remington Weed wacker question

Postby dart451 » Fri Apr 19, 2019 6:14 pm

Have a customer's Remington weed wacker, hadn't worked on one of these before, Remington RM 2200, Mod. 25A-26J7783. It appears these trimmers have the string turning all the time as soon as you start the motor...is this true? Also, all it has is a spring that pulls the idler pulley tight to spin the ball. However, I'm confused...if you disconnect the spring, the idler mechanism actually has a metal piece on the bracket that brakes the belt on the ball pulley. I see nothing underneath that would activate this brake but the customer brought the trimmer in because he thought the engine was seized up, couldn't pull the rope at all. The rope is fine, the motor is not seized up and all the pulleys spin without friction. The Trimmer does have a handle bar with a cable that brakes the flywheel and allows it to start but other than that, I cannot figure out why the pulley mechanism is freezing up!? Customer states that this has happened a few times and he's been able to free it up by spinning the ball back and forth a few times...
dart451
Forum Pro

Advertisement

Re: Remington Weed wacker question

Postby Skywatcher » Fri Apr 19, 2019 8:09 pm

Hi Dart

Going by the 25A- number and looking at the IPL on Partstree, I see this is a high-wheel trimmer. It looks like this unit drives all the time and runs at governed speed only. There is no sign of a separate engine control, so the operator presence system kills the engine as soon as the handle is released. The pully on the crankshaft indicates it's a supplementary flywheel as this engine is designed for use on a lawn mower. by your description of the problem, I'd be inclined to say the culprit is most likely the spindle bearings for the trimmer head. Dismantle the trimmer head spindle assembly and check for foreign material wrapped up in bearings or dry bearings.

The idler arm likely has the belt brake built into it as this unit was probably originally designed with a throttleable engine and a separate control for the trimmer head engagement. These days, it's all about cutting manufacturing costs and cheaping out wherever possible. Hope this gives you some ideas with which to work,

Sky
A person who sees Quality and feels it as he works is a person who cares.
A person who cares about what he sees and does is a person who's bound to have some characteristics of Quality.
Robert M. Pirsig. (Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance)
Skywatcher
Forum Pro

Location: Southern Alberta. Where the wheatlands meet the Range.

Postby KE4AVB » Fri Apr 19, 2019 8:33 pm

This is a 2015 model and as Sky it does operate the trimmer anytime the engine is rotating and it is a cheapen design.

According to ARInet the trimmer head is only available as a complete unit @ a retail price of $207-$208. But considering the attitude of the OEMs lately it is probably can be rebuilt; just that you source the bearings from a bearing source. It also depends if you can access the bearings. I know I rebuild a lot things that are now considered non rebuildable.

Here is a link to the parts IPL just make sure you select the RM2200 model> https://www.mtdparts.com/en_US/ari-redirect.html#/s/MTF2%7c%7eSTAGING/25A-26J7783//1/y
Although the 2014-2019 models are all basically the same machine.
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby dart451 » Sat Apr 20, 2019 12:30 pm

Thanks guys! I really appreciate the feedback!
dart451
Forum Pro

Postby dart451 » Mon Apr 22, 2019 4:05 pm

Wow, I just looked everywhere for a cheaper price for the assembly...expensive and what a poor design!
dart451
Forum Pro

Return to Technical Discussion Forum