• Advertisement

Briggs 49M977

Use this forum to discuss small engines, and the equipment or machinery that they power. This is the main section for any technical help posts and related questions.

Briggs 49M977

Postby KE4AVB » Mon Apr 22, 2019 7:24 am

Working a Briggs 49M977-1036-G5 with the cyclonic air filter. Just a few notes on pulling the carburetor.

1. When removing engine shroud be prepare to extract the two screws with brass inserts holding it to the air cleaner base. The one I just pulled the two screws where so tight they broke free the brass inserts; therefore, they had to be removed. Hoping to be able to cement them back in using epoxy; otherwise, the 799094 air filter base will need replacing. A $42.50 hulk of plastic.
  2. When removing the carburetor, you must remove the intake manifold as the carburetor mounting studs must be removed in order to split the carburetor off from if as there is no clearance to do otherwise. Don't think you can remove the air filter to carburetor adapter either as there is simply no room to slide it off the studs when the intake manifold is still mounted. Less than a quarter inch between it and the cylinder block and you need about 3/4" to get it off the studs.
  3. Where ordering the carburetor kit 799132 you may want to order the two intake manifold to cylinder gaskets [690949] as they are not in the carburetor kit [$79.60].
This engine was install on a Hustler Laser Z as a replacement engine so there is problems even removing the intake manifold assy. The muffler is actually quite close making removing and installing the governor to throttle plate linkage a pain. Also the hydro oil cooler bracket must be removed just to get the engine shroud off. Even just accessing the air filter you need to wiggle the cover out and in place.

These tight clearances remind me of working modern day automobiles where you got take so much off just to what is needing repaired. It took nearly an hour just to get to the carburetor.
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Advertisement

Re: Briggs 49M977

Postby hanz63 » Mon Apr 22, 2019 9:19 am

Ugg. Sounds like a treat. Thanks for the words of wisdom per usual.
hanz63
Forum Pro

Re: Briggs 49M977

Postby RoyM » Mon Apr 22, 2019 10:30 am

Makes me glad I am retired and don't have to deal with it.
Briggs and Stratton MST
RoyM
Forum Pro

Return to Technical Discussion Forum