• Advertisement

whats the best brush saw to buy?

Use this forum to discuss small engines, and the equipment or machinery that they power. This is the main section for any technical help posts and related questions.

whats the best brush saw to buy?

Postby plotthound » Thu Apr 25, 2019 4:39 pm

looking to buy a decent brush saw to take out trees about 5-6" in diameter.was looking at the bigger stihls but man are they pricey.whats a good alternative?
plotthound
Guide

Advertisement

Re: whats the best brush saw to buy?

Postby RoyM » Thu Apr 25, 2019 8:05 pm

How much do you need to clear? If it is a few acres around home the big dog is really not necessary. Echo makes a good product for somewhat less money than Stihl although their SRM-410U doesn't have nearly the power of a Stihl clearing saw. If you want production go big or go home.
Briggs and Stratton MST
RoyM
Forum Pro

Postby plotthound » Fri Apr 26, 2019 5:16 am

ive got to clear some trails that are growing in.make them wide enough for the atv again.
plotthound
Guide

Postby KE4AVB » Fri Apr 26, 2019 8:54 am

Personally I consider the 5-6" diameter as I classify them as small trees and would use a small chainsaw like my Little Red Homelite or one the Poulan S25 that I have. But it is just me probably as I prefer to use the right size tool for a job.

I would think a clearing saw would better suited for clearing saplings under 2 inches.
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby bgsengine » Fri Apr 26, 2019 9:47 am

KE4AVB wrote:Personally I consider the 5-6" diameter as I classify them as small trees and would use a small chainsaw like my Little Red Homelite or one the Poulan S25 that I have. But it is just me probably as I prefer to use the right size tool for a job.

I would think a clearing saw would better suited for clearing saplings under 2 inches.

Same here. Chainsaw would be quicker anyways, if you havent used one of those clearing saws before - at 5" thick , blade would start to bind badly, plus 5" trees , you got the chance of them toppling the wrong way and bust your gearbox,or worse.. Like KE4, I'd say 2 inch , maybe 3 inch at the most would be a max diameter to run a clearing saw like that.. anything bigger, go to a chainsaw.
How poor are they who have not patience. What wound did ever heal, but by degrees? - Iago (Othello Act II, Scene 3)
bgsengine
Briggs MST
Briggs MST

Postby bobodu » Sat Apr 27, 2019 7:13 am

Plus...the blade would have to be HUGE!!!!! :o
"Give me a fast ship, for I intend to go into harm's way."
bobodu
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Postby Arkie » Tue Apr 30, 2019 8:12 am

You need a chainsaw.

You might try these links to find what ya need.
If you are thinking maybe used chainsaw ask your question at the chainsaw link
or chainsaws for sale or at the want to buy link.
The chainsaw guys at these links are more trustworthy for used saws than flea bay, etc.

Ask here:
https://www.arboristsite.com/community/ ... hainsaw.9/

or here under chainsaws or want to buy:

https://www.arboristsite.com/community/ ... hainsaw.9/
Arkie
Forum Pro

Return to Technical Discussion Forum