• Advertisement

Craftsman 917.289244 tractor starting issue...

Use this forum to discuss small engines, and the equipment or machinery that they power. This is the main section for any technical help posts and related questions.

Craftsman 917.289244 tractor starting issue...

Postby dart451 » Thu May 02, 2019 7:57 am

Have a head scratcher! Cannot get engine to turn over. Can jump the solenoid and it'll turn over. At first I thought it was the solenoid, I checked voltage at the inside post, 12v. I then tested the small white wire to the solenoid, 12v when I turned the starter switch. I figured the solenoid was faulty. Changed it out, same problem. Any other suggestions out there?
dart451
Forum Pro

Advertisement

Re: Craftsman 917.289244 tractor starting issue...

Postby Gerry » Thu May 02, 2019 8:29 am

Seat safety switch or one of the other safety switches, does it have a small ground wire under the right fender that is not making a good ground?
Gerry
Guide

Postby 38racing » Thu May 02, 2019 8:41 am

I once had a no crank even with 12v showing at the small wire to the solenoid but new solenoid didn't fix it( back then I didn't think to just jumper 12v to small tab on solenoid to test it.). We problem was bad connection at s tab on keyswitch. Wouldn't pass enough current to activate the solenoid , just enough for vom to see 12v.
38racing
Forum Pro

Postby dart451 » Thu May 02, 2019 5:52 pm

Where is the blade engagement switch on this model? I don't see it under the dash area! Maybe that switch is bad...
dart451
Forum Pro

Postby bobodu » Thu May 02, 2019 8:01 pm

Have you jumped from the battery terminal to the coil terminal? How does the solenoid ground? Frame or fourth wire?
"Give me a fast ship, for I intend to go into harm's way."
bobodu
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Postby KE4AVB » Thu May 02, 2019 8:46 pm

There wouldn't be 12v at the solenoid if the PTO or brake switches were bad. Of course the brake/clutch must be depressed and the PTO in off position. If either is operating backwards then someone has install the wrong switch or been bypassing them. These two safeties are different. I ran to one that was starting without depressing the brake/clutch because someone installed the PTO safety switch in place of the original brake/clutch switch.

Since you have 12v at the trigger terminal I hope this is with the wire plugged in then you have a bad ground or a return ground drop out. As 38 mention a bad connection on the positive side can cause a false reading if the you are just testing the trigger wire with it disconnected as a load must applied for it to drop out. Also this mower does use a black grounding wire to ground the solenoid metal bracket.

This is the wiring diagram.
https://c.searspartsdirect.com/lis_png/PLDM/1108184P-00011.png?wid=150&hei=150
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby KE4AVB » Thu May 02, 2019 8:51 pm

PS just add bypassing safeties other for testing is very bad idea.

We had a four old in my area that lost toes and may even end losing a foot because someone bypass the reverse mow inhibit switch and the mower operator back over the kid.

I simply will not do it for customers if nothing else for my peace in mind that I not responsible for things like this.
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby hanz63 » Fri May 03, 2019 12:28 am

Yep, happened to me before with the funky frame ground @ ground wire for the safety line under the rear fender too!
hanz63
Forum Pro

Postby dart451 » Fri May 03, 2019 8:50 am

KE4AVB wrote:There wouldn't be 12v at the solenoid if the PTO or brake switches were bad. Of course the brake/clutch must be depressed and the PTO in off position. If either is operating backwards then someone has install the wrong switch or been bypassing them. These two safeties are different. I ran to one that was starting without depressing the brake/clutch because someone installed the PTO safety switch in place of the original brake/clutch switch.

Since you have 12v at the trigger terminal I hope this is with the wire plugged in then you have a bad ground or a return ground drop out. As 38 mention a bad connection on the positive side can cause a false reading if the you are just testing the trigger wire with it disconnected as a load must applied for it to drop out. Also this mower does use a black grounding wire to ground the solenoid metal bracket.

This is the wiring diagram.
https://c.searspartsdirect.com/lis_png/PLDM/1108184P-00011.png?wid=150&hei=150

I didn't notice a black ground wire from the solenoid unless it's the one plugged into the other spade next to the white wire. I will disconnect the grounds, clean them and reconnect them...see if that helps. You know, the owner told me that she ran over her trickle charge near the back of the mower prior to me getting the mower. However, she said the mower ran after that...I'll check under the mower, see if I can locate any problems...
dart451
Forum Pro

Postby dart451 » Fri May 03, 2019 9:28 am

Ok, I checked the ground under the left rear fender, took it off, cleaned it, reattached it...ground is good. However, I checked for voltage and continuity at the solenoid. Like before, I get 12v at the inside terminal. When I turn the key to start, the white wire gets energized. One thing I noticed though checking continuity, if I check for ground on the small black wire...I get a good ground with the key off. However, when I turn the key to start, the ground goes bye bye! I would think the ground should still be grounded!? I took off the ignition switch, sprayed with some WD40 to clean it a bit but it's still the same. BAD ignition switch perhaps??
dart451
Forum Pro

Next

Return to Technical Discussion Forum