• Advertisement

Craftsman 917.289244 tractor starting issue...

Use this forum to discuss small engines, and the equipment or machinery that they power. This is the main section for any technical help posts and related questions.

Re: Craftsman 917.289244 tractor starting issue...

Postby KE4AVB » Fri May 03, 2019 11:35 am

dart451 wrote:I didn't notice a black ground wire from the solenoid unless it's the one plugged into the other spade next to the white wire. I will disconnect the grounds, clean them and reconnect them...see if that helps. You know, the owner told me that she ran over her trickle charge near the back of the mower prior to me getting the mower. However, she said the mower ran after that...I'll check under the mower, see if I can locate any problems...

This is supposed to have a three solenoid and not a four terminal. But four terminal (two large and two small) solenoids are usable if you connect one of the small terminals permanently to ground. On the three terminal version this is internally to the mounting bracket which is then mounted to the metal chassis [frame] for the ground return.

dart451 wrote:One thing I noticed though checking continuity, if I check for ground on the small black wire...I get a good ground with the key off. However, when I turn the key to start, the ground goes bye bye! I would think the ground should still be grounded!?

Is this at the solenoid or the ignition switch. If at the ignition this is the magneto kill circuit which is ground in the ignition off to kill the spark. Otherwise if at the solenoid then you have a grounding problem. The solenoid ground should be hardwired to chassis ground.
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby dart451 » Fri May 03, 2019 3:04 pm

Perhaps someone might be able to check this for me on a similar Craftsman tractor? See if the small black wire on the Starter Solenoid loses it's ground when the key is in start position? Doesn't sound right to me...
dart451
Forum Pro

Postby KE4AVB » Fri May 03, 2019 3:27 pm

Dart, Take a step back. I gave you all the info you need. On the wiring schematic the open circles are removal wire connectors/terminals and solid black circles are hardwired connections via mostly likely ring terminals.

dart451 wrote:Perhaps someone might be able to check this for me on a similar Craftsman tractor? See if the small black wire on the Starter Solenoid loses it's ground when the key is in start position? Doesn't sound right to me...

No it should not lose ground as it is supposedly hardwired for the model number you posted and the link diagram is for this model. Manual add a hardwired connection for the grounding to test.

Also the are the type grounds reference by the schematic.
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby dart451 » Fri May 03, 2019 5:48 pm

Thank you for all your help! And I'm sorry if I'm being a pain in the ass...I don't mean to. I don't believe this tractor has been worked on by anyone...it's in pretty good shape. Two years ago, the lady called and had a problem, I came out and only had to re-install the belt. Other than that, she has told me that it has had no maintenance since she's owned it. The did change out the solenoid with a known good one that I had which didn't fix the problem. The black wire is (I believe) coming from the ignition. It's in a loom but I don't see it attached to any ground. You say the black wire from the ignition would be a kill switch. But it's grounded with key off, and only looses the ground on the start position. Isn't that backwards? Or do I need another beer?
dart451
Forum Pro

Postby KE4AVB » Fri May 03, 2019 6:01 pm

You need another 6 pack then.

If coming from the ignition it working as intended as it would be for the ignition kill terminal. See Most magnetos needs grounding in order to kill the spark plug spark. It does sounds like someone has mis-wired the solenoid circuit.

Disconnect that black wire, make-up a grounding wire and install it on the solenoid tab opposite of the +12v lead (white wire). Then you should be able to start the engine. If the engine has a fuel shut off solenoid you would still able to kill the engine but it will a second or two longer.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby dart451 » Fri May 03, 2019 6:13 pm

Sorry KE4AVB, 4 beers is my limit...I start retching after that! I did as you suggested and put a ground wire on the (black wire spade)...the motor turned over! What I don't get is...it certainly does not appear that any wiring has been changed on the tractor. And, the owner says it was running before...scratch my head!? I will remove the black wire that was on the solenoid and put a solid ground to the terminal...
dart451
Forum Pro

Postby KE4AVB » Fri May 03, 2019 8:27 pm

Since I don't drink alcohol even one probably put me under table.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby dart451 » Sat May 04, 2019 9:41 am

Good morning gentlemen! Well, I did place a ground wire where the other black wire was placed on the solenoid and yes, the mower started. However, after it ran for a few minutes, it started bellowing out thick smoke! Now, the owner said it was smoking a bit but this thing looked like a mosquito sprayer! I thought perhaps she was referring to a stuck choke perhaps. I shut it off and checked the oil. WAY OVERFILLED! And, it had the smell of gasoline! So, it appears that the little O-ring is bad in the carburetor...I've seen this happen before with these carburetors. Also, as you said KE4AVB, the tractor starts now but, it takes a while to shut off...might have to look into this a bit closer...
dart451
Forum Pro

Postby 38racing » Sat May 04, 2019 11:12 am

Doesn't say here what engine/carb but not sure what you mean by oring. Needle and seat would likely be the culprit along with lack on inline shutoff. Lucky it wasn't hyrolocked. I've sheared the key on a rider trying to start it when hydrolocked.
38racing
Forum Pro

Postby KE4AVB » Sat May 04, 2019 11:27 am

If it still has the original engine then should be 331877-1371-B1. And if before 151130XX, it would be a Nikki and yes the bowl gasket can lead to flooding the crankcase. I did three of these carbs this week alone as they have a separate o-ring for the inlet tube which goes bad and leaks. Actually more often the soft seal inlet needle valve.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

PreviousNext

Return to Technical Discussion Forum