• Advertisement

Craftsman 917.289244 tractor starting issue...

Use this forum to discuss small engines, and the equipment or machinery that they power. This is the main section for any technical help posts and related questions.

Re: Craftsman 917.289244 tractor starting issue...

Postby dart451 » Fri May 10, 2019 3:32 pm

Well, I checked all the safety switches, all the grounds that I could find, still I could not get the ignition to have a ground on the start circuit! And no one messed with this before, it's still stock! I even tried a new starter switch, didn't help, also tried another solenoid I had in stock...nada! So, I did as you suggested KE4AVB and put a static ground to the black wire spade. It starts and it shuts off with the fuel valve shut off solenoid. Just wish I could have found the problem here! I hate to just Jerry rig it...
dart451
Forum Pro

Postby KE4AVB » Fri May 10, 2019 4:17 pm

dart451 wrote:Well, I checked all the safety switches, all the grounds that I could find, still I could not get the ignition to have a ground on the start circuit! And no one messed with this before, it's still stock! I even tried a new starter switch, didn't help, also tried another solenoid I had in stock...nada! So, I did as you suggested KE4AVB and put a static ground to the black wire spade. It starts and it shuts off with the fuel valve shut off solenoid. Just wish I could have found the problem here! I hate to just Jerry rig it...

And it should not. The ignition only grounds out when you turn the ignition to OFF. Otherwords the lead that was losing ground at the starter solenoid but was grounding the switch off is actually supposed to go to the ignition coil kill terminal.

The jumper you put for the solenoid to work is what the OEM did in the first place.
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby dart451 » Fri May 10, 2019 4:33 pm

Yes, I know KE4AVB...youi're right! I just wish I would have found the cause of the problem...but, it does work now...
dart451
Forum Pro

Postby KE4AVB » Fri May 10, 2019 5:14 pm

If to see something jury rigged you ought to see the Cub Cadet that I am straightening the wiring on. First obvious thing is the push button start that had been added.

The root cause was a failed Packard terminal on the ignition switch. But already having to replace it because someone used a screwdriver trying to turn it thus jamming it in the on position. No wonder the battery was dead. The old fuel solenoid draining the battery problem. The next problem is the fuel solenoid wiring going to carburetor. They done crippled the solenoid but they manage to fried the wiring and diodes on the Kohler CV25. The rigged job was a bare solid section of copper wire on a live 12v line. The wires weren't even properly wrapped; just loosely hanging there. I just going terminate them so no shorting occurs.

Just got get to it after the rain stops in the morning. I got tired today. Put on several tires and boy can new be a pain at times to get seat on the rims. But those mowers are done now just got to test them out Sunday cutting my lawn. 6 acres should go fast for a change with the two commercial ZTRs that I just completed repairs on.
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby dart451 » Fri May 10, 2019 5:50 pm

I found a fix for this KE4AVB! When I hooked it up with only the static ground, the carb gas shut off solenoid shut off the motor like you said, but it takes a few seconds. So, I put a jumper wire from the original black wire that went to the solenoid and jumped it to the black wire terminal. I didn't think this would work but it did! Motor shut off immediately when you turn the key off now with both static and kill switch black wire connected. Here is a pic:
dart451
Forum Pro

Previous

Return to Technical Discussion Forum