• Advertisement

Ready Start issue

Use this forum to discuss small engines, and the equipment or machinery that they power. This is the main section for any technical help posts and related questions.

Ready Start issue

Postby wristpin » Sat May 04, 2019 1:21 pm

124T02-0001-140430. Owner complaining of difficult hot start and smell of fuel (gas!) . Its the first Ready Start that I've had to work on . Playing the hot air gun on the thermostat/muffler opens the choke fully and cooling it with the air line closes it. The action is a bit jerky - is this to be expected or a sign of a thermostat that is past its best?
While I'm here, what is the part number and date of the latest L head Repair Manual ? I guess that there is something newer than 270962-12/03!
As usual, all help will be gratefully received.
Angus in the UK
wristpin
Forum Pro

Advertisement

Re: Ready Start issue

Postby bgsengine » Sat May 04, 2019 2:00 pm

Make sure plastic vane moves freely and return spring returns it to closed, (checking when cold) and since thermostat appears working , make sure the loop of metal 'stat is within the zones marked (molded) in the plastic vane.. if not the loop of the metal arm can be bent in or out (and side to side a bit if need be) . That is assuming you've got the air vane controlled choke.. also ensure cooling air can move freely (no debris blocking fins, etc) and no modifications in air intake area (recoil housing, flywheel screen, etc) blocking things up..

Should be able to get latest version of manuals over at Briggs website, I believe... but with L-Head being pretty much obsoleted these days, I doubt there'll be much more in the way of updates to the L-head manuals.
How poor are they who have not patience. What wound did ever heal, but by degrees? - Iago (Othello Act II, Scene 3)
bgsengine
Briggs MST
Briggs MST

Postby KE4AVB » Sat May 04, 2019 2:13 pm

Should operate smoothly. Read SB760 service bulletin. Available in the Downloads, Manuals & Links> Briggs>Advance Product Service Information directory. Though refers to cold starting it mention the sticking/jerky problem.

Briggs hasn't updated any of the manuals though they have release one new one that I don't have in the public directory on my G drive.
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby wristpin » Sun May 05, 2019 3:26 am

Thank you for your replies.
I’ve had a good read of the bulletin and while it majors on the choke not closing rather than not opening there is some useful stuff. I can confirm that with the exception of the thermostat capsule itself everything else is free to move and set within the suggested parameters. My suspicion is that the bi- metallic spring within the capsule is binding - rusty, maybe? And that is what’s causing the jerky action and possible hanging in a partially choked condition.
The owner has agreed to a new thermostat . Hopefully that will cure the problem - I will then be tempted to open up the old one to see whether there is anything to be learnt from the condition inside.
Thanks again.
wristpin
Forum Pro

Postby StarTech » Sun May 05, 2019 6:48 am

Now you wouldn't be copying my ideas would you wristpin? :lol: It the only way sometimes to learn something new. It like AVB is considering buying a GTI RS800F just to take a part to see what is the big secret about the internals and to see he can modify one to have axle bushings as they have only the steel axle riding on the plastic housing.
StarTech

Postby hanz63 » Sun May 05, 2019 10:20 am

One thing that I have found a few times on these is the little brass bleed at the venturi entrance is blocked enough to create the hot restart.
hanz63
Forum Pro

Postby wristpin » Sun May 05, 2019 5:30 pm

hanz63 wrote:One thing that I have found a few times on these is the little brass bleed at the venturi entrance is blocked enough to create the hot restart.

Thanks for your reply but I think that you may be referring to a different version of Ready Start , no venturi or bleed on this one.
wristpin
Forum Pro

Return to Technical Discussion Forum