• Advertisement

Briggs Powered Toro Lawnmower

Use this forum to discuss small engines, and the equipment or machinery that they power. This is the main section for any technical help posts and related questions.

Re: Briggs Powered Toro Lawnmower

Postby KE4AVB » Mon May 13, 2019 6:38 am

wristpin wrote:
creia wrote:Thanks for the follow-up Dale. That is how we can ALL learn from others experiences. :) As good as ultrasonic cleaners are (we have been using them for over 10 years now), you still need to probe all passageways and orifices. Like you, we also use carb cleaner after the ultrasonic to further purge any loosened debris, which also serves to remove any water remaining from whatever cleaning solution you are using. I know some use compressed air for this, but I believe carb cleaner does a better job.
Michael

Not only does carb cleaner do a better job but it doesn’t risk blowing the needle seat across the shop!!
It’s interesting that when I was learning the job xxxx years ago, shop manuals carried warnings not to poke wire etc through jets and fuel passages - now Honda and others sell a nice set of assorted jet cleaners purpose made for the job.

Kinda strange. Since I work on both 4C and 2C I know very well not the wire probe passages especially on 2C carburetors. Wire probing 2C carburetors will destroy check valves. Normally 4C carburetors don't have these check valves.

As for the UC I have been using them since 2012. I have upgraded several times due size limitations. I don't have water problems as I do heat the carburetors while cleaning. If using Dawn or similar soap I do run a rinse cycle in the UC but I tend to use non residual soap now as Dawn and similar do leave a residue ; unless, you do a rinse cycle. I do use light air blow to blow off the excess cleaning solution then allow the carburetors to air dry as they cool down. I also very few problems after cleaning a carburetor but there are times that I need multiple cleaning cycles just because the carburetor is so dirty.

As for carburetor being used on the rubber needle seats it does damage them depending how long it is left in contact with the rubber. So with the UC I haven't had a can of the carburetor cleaner even in my shop since after 2014.
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby 38racing » Mon May 13, 2019 7:53 am

Carb cleaner certainly expands the size of a carb bowl gasket.
38racing
Forum Pro

Postby creia » Mon May 13, 2019 7:07 pm

38racing wrote:Carb cleaner certainly expands the size of a carb bowl gasket.

Spray carb cleaners should not be used on ANY rubber parts on a carb (e.g.,bowl gaskets, seats, etc.) as they can damage them.
Michael
creia
Forum Pro

Previous

Return to Technical Discussion Forum