• Advertisement

Briggs 491588 filter

Use this forum to discuss small engines, and the equipment or machinery that they power. This is the main section for any technical help posts and related questions.

Briggs 491588 filter

Postby 38racing » Tue May 14, 2019 9:28 pm

Does anyone have an oem one that they could measure height? I'm just replacing some with aftermarket and bought the pre cleaner that supposedly goes with it. Problem is with both installed the thickness is such that air does not go in front of pre cleaner but into its edge and also bypassing it directly into edge of filter pleats. Will update with pics later. Haven't measured height yet but my supplier says 13/16 which is .8" and I'm seeing them online elsewhere at .85.
38racing
Forum Pro

Advertisement

Re: Briggs 491588 filter

Postby KE4AVB » Wed May 15, 2019 6:32 am

Sounds like you got the wrong pre-filter. Some will try selling you a thick foam version which doesn't work with the Briggs setup. You need the pre-filter that has the screen wire and thin foam.This pre-filter actually is bent around two sides of the air filter. I have seen these pre-filters in aftermarket that don't have this screen wire and they are lousy when used.

BTW the Honda filter version of this filter which has a thicker foam seal works fine as a replacement filter.

I go out to shop later and measure the thickness of the aftermarket filters I have here. I just got to get ready for work first. You the routine. Shower, shave, and put on those required clothes. Going to the shop in my birthday will just get me in trouble. :lol:
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby bgsengine » Wed May 15, 2019 6:33 am

Not all the engine models were built to use the pre-cleaner, so some of them may have a filter cover that does not accommodate the pre-cleaner. Have had a few of those with pre-cleaners being added by un-informed techs... seen cracked and warped filter bases, crushed air filters and poor performing engines caused by that.. not very many, but more than a couple... so I never add a pre-cleaner if it isn't present on the unit, parts catalog isn't always clear if the pre-cleaner goes or not.

Also there's 2 versions of pre-cleaner, one's with soft plastic-y mesh , other with metal wire mesh both OEM, but never paid much attention to which one goes to which model, they seem to interchange perfectly where they ARE used
How poor are they who have not patience. What wound did ever heal, but by degrees? - Iago (Othello Act II, Scene 3)
bgsengine
Briggs MST
Briggs MST

Postby KE4AVB » Wed May 15, 2019 8:55 am

The aftermarket Honda filter is .8" or 22mm thick that I use to replace the Briggs 491588. None of distributors carry the aftermarket Briggs version currently as long they distribute Briggs parts. TEW did but they are gone and I had quit using the Briggs aftermarket anyway in favor of the Honda panel filter.
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby 38racing » Wed May 15, 2019 10:13 am

my notes say mine fits hondas as well. the pre filters I got are fairly thick and have wire mesh. I'll just leave them out for now.
38racing
Forum Pro

Return to Technical Discussion Forum