• Advertisement

Just you just love it when...

Use this forum to discuss small engines, and the equipment or machinery that they power. This is the main section for any technical help posts and related questions.

Just you just love it when...

Postby KE4AVB » Thu May 16, 2019 4:14 pm

Some idiot at one of the local shops put in a push button switch to make a CUB ztr startup. F56 terminal failed on the ignition switch. Then he shorted out the starter solenoid circuit destroying the wiring and PTO switch. Just basically a hatchet job. He didn't even fused the B+ circuit.

Wasn't able to fully restore the system to original condition but it now starts up and cut off with the ignition switch and PTO switch prevents starting while the PTO is engaged. Owner is still griping about the repair costs so I skipped the parking brake replacement. Bad enough he thinks that someone installed the wrong deck belts and burned up the starter wiring.

I spent half a day straighten out someone else's screw up. But at least it is safer then it was. Although now I got to patch my driveway where the carburetor leaked over night destroying the asphalt.
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Advertisement

Re: Just you just love it when...

Postby RoyM » Thu May 16, 2019 8:09 pm

Oh man. I hated those jobs even though it was at straight time.
Briggs and Stratton MST
RoyM
Forum Pro

Postby 38racing » Thu May 16, 2019 9:36 pm

Speaking of safety. Why is it people just have to override them. My neighbour gave me his Kubota t1400h. Just a few minor things and it runs great. Just finishing up the deck patching so I pull the mower out today. Last year I knew that I could get off seat even with brake off. I thought I had a sticking seat switch. On this unit the switch passes 12v to a relay to control engine kill. There is also a solenoid on the carb. I'm thinking that engine stops when key turned to off solely because of the solenoid. I'm guessing I might the find kill wire from coil is disconnected somewhere to defect safeties. Tomorrow I'm going to run a jumper to the solenoid and see if engine keeps running with key off. IIRC the key grounds the coil but I'll check the schematic later tonight.
38racing
Forum Pro

Postby hanz63 » Thu May 16, 2019 11:17 pm

It just seems like you have those streaks when you wonder why someone went to the dump just to drop said garbage on your lap to make better. Charge like h@ll and weed'em out!
hanz63
Forum Pro

Postby KE4AVB » Fri May 17, 2019 7:26 am

With the improvement in the economy I do charge a lot more. No more feeling sorry for those non appreciative customers. Like the one I had 7 yrs ago that brought in his rider. The back of his truck was filled with boxes where took his mower apart to do replace a drive belt and still couldn't out how get it on. I had only charged $50 to put it back and he complain that it was too high. I told him that I had put 8 hrs into getting back and he still wanted to complain. I told if he continue to complain I could change the bill and he shut up and never been back. None of us need customers like that.

It is like the ATV I did Wednesday where it took 6 hrs to rebuild the front end. I charged for the 6 hrs and even got a $5 tip. No complaints. Whiners will have to just lump it from now on.
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby hanz63 » Fri May 17, 2019 5:44 pm

Yep. Gotta get it from those who have it and want to spend it. Good customers will stay with you. Had to condemn 2 riders today. Both were trying to string them along. I look at things from the good money vs bad money standpoint. Many times I give them the we could fix this, but why? At least they have a good understanding that if I'm willing to repair it, but don't feel that they should- then it is on them.
hanz63
Forum Pro

Return to Technical Discussion Forum