• Advertisement

Briggs parts lookup

Use this forum to discuss small engines, and the equipment or machinery that they power. This is the main section for any technical help posts and related questions.

Briggs parts lookup

Postby Az Shadeguy » Sat Jun 01, 2019 3:17 pm

I am having trouble finding a parts list for the following engine
98902-1315-01 date code of 96
I am looking for the carb gasket and primer bulb
Thanks
Az Shadeguy
Forum Regular

Advertisement

Re: Briggs parts lookup

Postby bgsengine » Sat Jun 01, 2019 3:27 pm

Don't forget some parts lookups need a 6 digit model, so you add a 0 to the start as in 098902-1315-01
How poor are they who have not patience. What wound did ever heal, but by degrees? - Iago (Othello Act II, Scene 3)
bgsengine
Briggs MST
Briggs MST

Postby Az Shadeguy » Sat Jun 01, 2019 3:33 pm

Thanks I did forget
Az Shadeguy
Forum Regular

Postby RoyM » Sat Jun 01, 2019 7:58 pm

Leave the -01 trim number off.
Briggs and Stratton MST
RoyM
Forum Pro

Postby bgsengine » Sat Jun 01, 2019 8:25 pm

RoyM wrote:Leave the -01 trim number off.
Yeah, true - more often but not always they'll default to a -99 when they're so old that all the old trims are obsoleted or consolidated... although this one being a '96 , I don't think it's quite yet to Antique status..

although, got in an old 1984 briggs twin opposed I gotta look into tear down and rebuild - an old Sears 18HP garden tractor that was new when I first started turning wrenches... surprisingly enough it appears the rods and piston kits are still available, so, even with the $800+ quote on the job (subject to change after teardown inspection) guy wants to rebuild it.. tractor itself is actually in better shape than some 2014 models I have had .. but damn.. to think this thing classifies as an Antique being 35 years old... makes me realize just how friggin old I am.. heh..
How poor are they who have not patience. What wound did ever heal, but by degrees? - Iago (Othello Act II, Scene 3)
bgsengine
Briggs MST
Briggs MST

Postby KE4AVB » Sun Jun 02, 2019 7:17 am

Come on BGS is that only when you started or is that when you started getting paid? I have had them in my hands for over 50 yrs but I am only turning 60 in a couple weeks. My step dad had me helping with V8s when I was on the second grade (late 60's). Light work on cars at a local gas station back when we full service stations when I was in my mid teens. Then in 79 I entered the real rat race of repairs.

So there are some of us as old as dirt it seems at times and we got all the aches and pains that goes with it. Just recuperating from straining my back again, two weeks using crutches to get up and down. I even had to have a customer help me up recently as I forgot to the crutch and was stuck on the floor. I couldn't even get to my hands and knees, no room to do it.

I kinda glad the Spring rush is ending but the work is still coming in just at a little slower rate due to the dry weather. It might strange but we are needing some the rain the mid west is getting. We even been near 100 earlier this week. I though they quit making push mowers :lol: but I got in two Husqvarna SP and one Murray.

Of course the customer had to cut a nearly round in one Husqvarna decks to access the transmission and tried rigging up a throttle cable to operate it. The customer's wife was just shaking her head as he told me about it. It is now part water heater as that were I got the patch panel from. I still got the SP cable hole to drill and might take a couple tries to correctly locate it. Just wish I had the section he cut out he threw it away. Now just got to find an orange paint close the deck color. Don't need to worry about the inside rusting as it is glass covered.

But back to the IPL look-up if you have access Briggs Power Portal then partial model number searches are possible. Sometimes even just the type and trim numbers works to get you close to a number when part of it is missing. Also the newer date code/serial number can be searched to get the actual model and type numbers.
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby bgsengine » Sun Jun 02, 2019 7:27 am

KE4AVB wrote:Come on BGS is that only when you started or is that when you started getting paid?.
Yeah,I started getting paid in '83 , but been messing with em since I was 11
bgsengine
Briggs MST
Briggs MST

Postby 38racing » Sun Jun 02, 2019 11:26 am

bgsengine wrote:
RoyM wrote:Leave the -01 trim number off.
Yeah, true - more often but not always they'll default to a -99 when they're so old that all the old trims are obsoleted or consolidated... although this one being a '96 , I don't think it's quite yet to Antique status..

although, got in an old 1984 briggs twin opposed I gotta look into tear down and rebuild - an old Sears 18HP garden tractor that was new when I first started turning wrenches... surprisingly enough it appears the rods and piston kits are still available, so, even with the $800+ quote on the job (subject to change after teardown inspection) guy wants to rebuild it.. tractor itself is actually in better shape than some 2014 models I have had .. but damn.. to think this thing classifies as an Antique being 35 years old... makes me realize just how friggin old I am.. heh..

I would think there's a few old mowers out there with running opposed twins. I've got one just sitting. Two others I still use. Just had a ford donated to church yard sale. I had it running but seemed to starve for fuel after short run and stop even with fuel cap off. Guy jumped at buying for our $50 cdn asking. It was 1988. Surprised carb had an anti backfire solenoid on it.
38racing
Forum Pro

Return to Technical Discussion Forum