• Advertisement

Briggs ID

Use this forum to discuss small engines, and the equipment or machinery that they power. This is the main section for any technical help posts and related questions.

Briggs ID

Postby wristpin » Thu Jun 20, 2019 8:53 am

61702 907539 5912110 . Does anyone have access to anything that would show what the factory paint finish would have been ? I no longer have access to the power portal and my 1990 fiche skips from 60199 to 80200.
wristpin
Forum Pro

Advertisement

Re: Briggs ID

Postby KE4AVB » Fri Jun 21, 2019 4:31 pm

I have no idea what colors were used and don't think the power portal even list these by model anymore or I just don't where to look.

Anyway I can send the part number for various colors along color names. It just that I can't seen paying what Briggs wants for 12 oz spray cans. One color I looked up was over 35 usd.
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby bgsengine » Fri Jun 21, 2019 6:37 pm

yeah although those are so old, by the numbers, I doubt they are even in anything but older microfiche or older paper manuals (those things were over 8 inches thick! - I had one back in the '80's before they went to "nothing but microfiche" and before they computerized.. ) You're talking the models that were made shortly after they changed over from the Letter series (such as 6BHS) Guessing from the date code, 1959 or 1960 era... and before they started with their current type (xxxx-xx) where the -xx was the trim code.. Those older engines, generally flat black, white, sometimes red, or just painted to the equipment manufacturer's specs.. (Some of them even came with just a primer coat and original paint was applied by the equipment manufacturer) but I have to wonder if even Briggs factory has that info any more..
How poor are they who have not patience. What wound did ever heal, but by degrees? - Iago (Othello Act II, Scene 3)
bgsengine
Briggs MST
Briggs MST

Postby wristpin » Sun Jun 23, 2019 7:47 am

Thanks for the replies - much as I thought but worth a shot. It appears that the engine in question left the OEM painted silver but whether this was applied by Briggs or the OEM will probably remain unresolved.
wristpin
Forum Pro

Postby bluemower » Sun Jun 23, 2019 1:26 pm

I checked some of my old microfiche from Jan 1973. The same frame covered about 50 different engine types and I did not find any paint specified. More recent publications list 7 different colors of lacquer paint available from Briggs. I used some of the recent briggs paint and found any drips around the fuel tank would dissolve the paint. I don't know if the colors available in 1999 were the same colors used in 1959.
bluemower
Guide

Return to Technical Discussion Forum