• Advertisement

Smart Switch experience?

Use this forum to discuss small engines, and the equipment or machinery that they power. This is the main section for any technical help posts and related questions.

Smart Switch experience?

Postby hanz63 » Tue Jun 25, 2019 9:48 pm

I had this Sears 4 y/o 917204030 with the smart switch with an odd issue. 150 hours on the unit. What happens at intermittent times is the the rider stumbles and stalls when the deck is disengaged. A ground is sent to the coil. The deck starts and runs runs up fine. The rider will restart and the deck run like nothing happened. When cleaning the terminals, the black wire terminal on the PTO switch had some blackness. These seem to use a ground direct to the battery for the smart switch harness. The PTO clutch was at 3.4 OHMS and I don't see a diode in the PTO harness. Think if I installed one this would go away?
hanz63
Forum Pro

Advertisement

Re: Smart Switch experience?

Postby bgsengine » Wed Jun 26, 2019 6:26 am

blackness on terminal contact points would indicate arcing / overheating / burning.. I'd be looking carefully at contact - could be the wire terminal itself is weakened so it is losing contact , causing the arcing - only way I know of to check would be pop it out of the harness connector and try it lone-wolf on the terminal pin of the switch and see if it slides on and off easily which would indicate a bad terminal.. seen plenty enough of them over the years.. what sucks is, for some terminal types, getting replacement ends can be damn near impossible, so you resort to robbing them from a scrapped unit harness (if you can find one that isnt worn out too!) and splicing in the pigtail.. otherwise, have to get a whole factory harness..
How poor are they who have not patience. What wound did ever heal, but by degrees? - Iago (Othello Act II, Scene 3)
bgsengine
Briggs MST
Briggs MST

Postby KE4AVB » Wed Jun 26, 2019 8:03 am

Agree the terminal at the PTO is probably loose. I too see a lot of these Packard terminals to have the spring contact hinge to weaken or break.

Kinda strange that I have seen any of these smart ignition switches in the shop yet so I had not try looking up the terminal connectors at the this switch though it is probably is AMP terminals.
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby hanz63 » Wed Jun 26, 2019 9:32 am

This terminal in question is the standard Packard behind the PTO switch. I suppose that I should have replaced it really. I cleaned it w/ a contact cleaner and terminal file plus snugged it to be sure. The switch I had swapped and it didn't make a difference. It's back out in the field for now so they could get things cleaned up as they hadn't used it in a while. At first I had the PTO warning light, but it went away after servicing the terminals.

There was one that I had earlier for a no crank and I wasn't getting a safety ground at the solenoid. Spent a half an hour to an hour checking for an additional chassis ground somewhere, cleaning checking. I looked at the distributor thinking their inventory might reflect if they were having issues with the pricey smart switch itself. Nope. Stopped. Thought about it. Maybe the code that the owner was so sure of, was changed. Bingo.

I never had a service manual on these. I put info together some info from a SPD video on the Youtube and an operator manual if this helps someone in the future.

Husqvarna SMART SWITCH
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tfa2xNX0mTs

Default code 321
Press start button- key blinks blue
Key in 321
Press start and it blinks green
Press again to start

To change code
Press start button- key blinks blue
Press and hold the 1 & 3 buttons for 3 seconds
Start button will be solid blue
Enter new code
Press start button to accept the code
Press again for start

Some won’t change this way
You must disable the lock
Press start button
Enter codes
Press and hold 1 & 3 together
Default code lock disabled

Key in desired code
Press start button to set
Press again to start

BATTERY INDICATOR BUTTON (See Fig. 14) The battery indicator button (I) is located on the SmartSwitch Ignition module and is used to display the status of the battery. The indicator will only work after the passcode has been entered and is blinking green. • Press and hold battery indicator button (I) for three (3) seconds. • The SmartSwitch Ignition Button (F) will light up and indicate the battery status as follows: RED Charge necessary RED AND GREEN Charge recommended GREEN Charge not necessary • Press the battery indicator button (I) once to stop viewing the battery status. NOTE: When the battery is too low and after the first unsuccessful start attempt, the battery indicator button will blink for two (2) seconds and then stay lit until battery is charged or until approximately five (5) minutes since last attempted start.
SMARTSWITCH WARNING LIGHTS (See Fig. 16) The SmartSwitch Ignition is programmed with warning lights to indicate when any part of the safety system is not being followed. The engine will not start until all the following ignition system faults are resolved: • The park brake symbol (CC) will be lit if the parking brake has not been engaged during a start attempt. • The blade switch symbol (EE) will blink if the attachment clutch control is not in the "DISENGAGED" position during a start attempt.

CHECK REVERSE OPERATION (ROS) SYSTEM • With the engine running, the SmartSwitch Ignition (SSI) button (F) solid green, and the attachment clutch engaged any attempt by the operator to shift in reverse will stop the mower blades. • With the engine running, the SmartSwitch Ignition (SSI) button (F) solid green, and the ROS button (G) lit, any attempt by the operator to shift in reverse should NOT stop the mower blades.

SMARTSWITCH IGNITION SYSTEM LIGHTS (See Fig. 46) The SmartSwitch System is equipped with courtesy lights that are used to indicate system functions or faults. FUNCTIONS • The SmartSwitch Ignition (SSI) Button (F) will blink blue while waiting for the correct passcode to be entered. The SSI button will blink green when tractor is ready to start and remain solid green while running. • The Reverse Operation System (ROS) button (G) will be lit when Reverse Operation System is in use. • The Headlight button (H) will remain lit while headlights are in use. • During normal operation, the Battery Indicator Button (I) will not be lit.
FAULTS • The SSI Button (F) will blink red for two seconds if the wrong passcode has been entered. • The park brake symbol (CC) will be lit if the parking brake has not been engaged during a start attempt. • The blade switch symbol (EE) will blink if the attachment clutch control is not in the "DISENGAGED" position during a start attempt. • The Reverse Operation System (ROS) button (G) will blink when there is a fault with the Reverse Operation System. See "Reverse Operation System" in the Operation section of this manual. • After the first unsuccessful start attempt, the Battery Indicator Button (I) will blink for two (2) seconds and then stay lit. This indicates that the battery voltage is below normal operating level. While engine is in operation, this light may also indicate a charging system failure. • The Headlight Button (H) will blink when one or both of the headlight bulbs fail. • All indicator lights will blink in the event the engine shuts off for unknown reasons; for example, if the engine has run out of fuel.
hanz63
Forum Pro

Return to Technical Discussion Forum