• Advertisement

The belt size saga. Again. No happy.

Use this forum to discuss small engines, and the equipment or machinery that they power. This is the main section for any technical help posts and related questions.

The belt size saga. Again. No happy.

Postby 38racing » Wed Jun 26, 2019 1:43 pm

I am at the deck belt stage for the burnt white zt50. The belt on it i had replaced for the neighbour has some fir damage. She had given me the one I had taken off. But it's too stretched and slipped ( that's why it was replaced).so I ordered the exact same belt from my supplier. Got a rotary. I have the cardboard for each. Both show the mtd oem number. Previous one even shows the size 1/2x134. So I spend an hour and can't get it on. Then I rolled it out on the floor and get 132 3/4. Other two at least an inch longer. My supplier's response is that if in useable condition I can return for credit. Didn't say he would cover shipping. He suggested that I order their stock 1/2 x 134 but implied it might not even be 134. I don't understand this. Why cant a belt match it's listed size? Ugh. Oem from local dealer will be at least twice the price but may have no choice.
38racing
Forum Pro

Advertisement

Re: The belt size saga. Again. No happy.

Postby KE4AVB » Wed Jun 26, 2019 5:23 pm

Now you know why I quit aftermarket belts period. I couldn't even get the right sizes from Stens. Yes I know OEM is more expensive for most of us. I just lucky that I got in with a distributor where the OEM are a lot of times even cheaper the Stens belts.
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby 38racing » Thu Jun 27, 2019 9:52 am

I called Rotary and explained 2 belts, same number, different size. They wouldn't discuss, just told me the dealer had to call them and they would make it right with the dealer who would make it right with me, whatever that means. The extra shipping costs , if I pay, will equal my cost of the belt. I'm thinking I might just add a link at the tension spring anchor point to allow for the shorter belt.
38racing
Forum Pro

Postby bgsengine » Thu Jun 27, 2019 11:01 am

Wouldn't Rotary give you your own account? Last I knew of they do sell to international customers.. Although I would suppose they'd want to see a regular volume of business.. Or better yet, Stens has a Canada distribution branch - https://www.stenscanada.ca/
How poor are they who have not patience. What wound did ever heal, but by degrees? - Iago (Othello Act II, Scene 3)
bgsengine
Briggs MST
Briggs MST

Postby 38racing » Thu Jun 27, 2019 12:15 pm

bgsengine wrote:Wouldn't Rotary give you your own account? Last I knew of they do sell to international customers.. Although I would suppose they'd want to see a regular volume of business.. Or better yet, Stens has a Canada distribution branch - https://www.stenscanada.ca/

I think it would be same volume issue with stens since I'm juzt a hobbyist, not a repair shop.
38racing
Forum Pro

Postby bgsengine » Thu Jun 27, 2019 1:30 pm

38racing wrote:
bgsengine wrote:Or better yet, Stens has a Canada distribution branch - https://www.stenscanada.ca/

I think it would be same volume issue with stens since I'm juzt a hobbyist, not a repair shop.
when I looked at their website, seems to have a relatively low minimum, and I know quite a few hobbyists with a stens account (In USA all you need would be a sales tax license, AFAIK) - A number of them aren't even in the repair business, they just sell the parts online.. some of em never turned a wrench in their life.. So, might be worth a look at their website help section and see if you could come up with enough to qualify..
How poor are they who have not patience. What wound did ever heal, but by degrees? - Iago (Othello Act II, Scene 3)
bgsengine
Briggs MST
Briggs MST

Postby KE4AVB » Fri Jun 28, 2019 7:59 am

Yes Stens fairly easy to get into but they will still give a run around about belts or at least they did me when they sent me belts that were an inch too long.

They told me that I was measuring the belts wrong. When I told I was using my v-belt measuring tool they it was no good even they are selling the same tool for that purpose. Took me several days to get it though to them that the belt were in fact were 104" and not 103". Ended up buying the OEM belt which measured 103". At least it was my personal mower but I end up with 2 more of the 46" cut that used the same belt. I didn't even bother to order from Stens the replacement belts the second time around. I don't care if they have an one year replacement grantee if they are going to cause me wasted time trying get correct replacement belts. This shouldn't been happening with the USA made belts either.

I feel the belts should match the labeled sizes; not plus +- over 1/2". I was getting belts that were up to 2" +- and we all know how picky a MTD can be about its belts.

At some point with all the mismatched belts sizes I had to call it quits on buying aftermarkets which I did last June (2018) when I had throw away a $1000 in belts because they were all the wrong sizes and out the warranty period. Just couldn't afford to lose the time putting belts just find out they didn't the application because they were the wrong lengths. The losing of a $1000 was the straw the broke the camel back.

BTW don't fall for the True Blue 2 cycle fuel hype that they are 100% ethanol resistant and they don't harden, shrink, or soften. They do and are a lot worse than the Tygon F-4040 lines because they can do it within 30 days even in 10% ethanol blends.
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby Arkie » Fri Jun 28, 2019 11:46 am

Even more sad and disgusting when a vendor won't even listen about their belt sizes not even being within the ball park. :(

I was buying belts from a seller by the name of UPE Group on ebay and started getting some belts that were not even close to size advertised and then I noticed they had several of their ebay listings using same parts number and belts of various sizes with same part number.

When I asked them why so many wrong listing and gave them examples of their listings they just put a block on me from buying from them. :o

Which worked out great because when I went shopping I found better belts at correct size at lower prices. :D :D :popcorn:
Arkie
Forum Pro

Postby 38racing » Fri Jun 28, 2019 1:14 pm

My dealer emailed rotary. Rotary measured the 11844 in their stock and got 134". My dealer apparently has more at 132 7/8. Not sure what's going on but I have a notice from my dealer's courier that a parcel is en route. Possibly dealer is sending a 1/2 x134 from his regular kevlar belt line.
38racing
Forum Pro

Return to Technical Discussion Forum