• Advertisement

Ignition problem Kohler on Cub Cadet

Use this forum to discuss small engines, and the equipment or machinery that they power. This is the main section for any technical help posts and related questions.

Ignition problem Kohler on Cub Cadet

Postby hjoeters » Sat Jun 29, 2019 8:11 am

Cuts off when key released.
Cub Cadet ZLT L, 2014 Mower cranks and runs fine, but when I release the key, instantly cuts off. I have changed ignition switches and solenoid with no change. If it doesn't start for some reason, it blows the 20A fuse. Even removed voltage rectifier on a suggestion (what a bear to get out!!) with no change. Don't even know where to go next. Thanks for any suggestions.

Mower Model Number : 17ARCACA009
Kohler Engine Model Number : PS-KT735-3013
Last edited by hjoeters on Sat Jun 29, 2019 9:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
hjoeters

Advertisement

Re: Ignition problem Kohler on Cub Cadet

Postby bluemower » Sat Jun 29, 2019 8:54 am

not familiar with that particular mower. I assume the engine starts when the key is in the crank position, but quits when the key is released to the run position. here are two ideas related to a faulty key switch. these are simple checks that are quick.
1. With the key in the run position, check the anti afterfire solenoid to see if it is energized.
2. with the key in the run position, check the magneto grounding circuit for continuity to ground.

If you have released the clutch pedal at the same time you released the key, the problem may be related to the shut off circuit.
bluemower
Guide

Postby 38racing » Sat Jun 29, 2019 10:16 am

I assume it had been running fine before any parts were changed?I had that and it was bad keyswitch to the carb solenoid but you've changed that already. But just as a test try moving key gently toward start as it shuts down and see if it comes back to life.
38racing
Forum Pro

Postby KE4AVB » Sat Jun 29, 2019 11:41 am

Sounds like a bare or pinched wire issue with blowing the fuse if the correct ignition was installed new, new fuel solenoid install , and wiring to voltage regulator disconnected. I don't see other reason for it to blowing the fuse.

Only one other component might the fuse to blow and would be the PTO disengagement relay.
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby KE4AVB » Sat Jun 29, 2019 1:40 pm

The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby fergy28 » Mon Jul 08, 2019 11:34 pm

to OP have you ever fixed that? It might be just as simple as loosing contacts on the switches.
fergy28

Return to Technical Discussion Forum