• Advertisement

PB-251 Blower

Use this forum to discuss small engines, and the equipment or machinery that they power. This is the main section for any technical help posts and related questions.

PB-251 Blower

Postby lefty » Sun Jun 30, 2019 3:52 pm

This one is killing me.

PB-251
S/N : P09012209359

Owner said it was running fine for years and then bogged and wouldn't start. He is a responsible owner / auto mechanic and a friend of mine. He reports a good mixture was always used. I have good spark and the cylinder looks good through the ports. Compression is 80LBs. (not sure if that is adequate or not). Replacement carb and fuel system were cheap so I did that as well as a spark plug. But I still can't get it to run. Occasionally, it will act like it wants to go but sputters out. One thing I'm noticing is that the plut is not wet and I'm wondering if it's getting fuel. Fuel flows through the system when I prime off the lines. I took the intake spacer off to make sure all the holes were clean. Based on all that, I think I still have a fuel problem but with a new carb, lines, filter and so forth, I'm at a loss. Maybe I have a stuck ring? How does that compression sound?
Thanks
Lefty
lefty
Forum Pro

Advertisement

Re: PB-251 Blower

Postby bgsengine » Sun Jun 30, 2019 5:20 pm

I'd say stuck or worn out ring - But if you had muffler off to look thru port at cylinder, you coulda checked the ring (pencil or soft point dowel to see if the ring springs in and back out freely, and see if edge or ring looks "square" or "flat" (rings should not have sharp square corners , or they're probably worn out) 80 PSI assuming an accurate gauge is no where near enough to run a 2-stroke , you would wanna see minimum around 100-110 before expecting them to run good.. but if ring is free, I'd suspect worn ring.. Bear in mind you do need good compression to get enough air flow to suck in gas, work fuel pump, etc as well, so plug being wet or not would tell nothing much with such low compression. (Might also see if it fires a prime with muffler off, in event of a plugged muffler - if she can't breathe out, she can't breathe in either..) If you do end up doing a ring job, I'd probably highly recommend doing the crank seals as well (just maintenance, if it has enough hours to wear out the rings..)
How poor are they who have not patience. What wound did ever heal, but by degrees? - Iago (Othello Act II, Scene 3)
bgsengine
Briggs MST
Briggs MST

Re: PB-251 Blower

Postby lefty » Sun Jun 30, 2019 5:27 pm

I thought that may be the case. Forgot to mention that I did check the muffler for clogs and it looks clean.
lefty
Forum Pro

Return to Technical Discussion Forum