• Advertisement

Toro 20018 personal pace mower quiting while mowing?

Use this forum to discuss small engines, and the equipment or machinery that they power. This is the main section for any technical help posts and related questions.

Toro 20018 personal pace mower quiting while mowing?

Postby jwales » Mon Jul 01, 2019 10:14 am

Toro personal pace 20018, serial 220311300. Tecumseh engine LEV120. Owner said it quit running. Assumed it was a fuel issue. Pulled carb and cleaned in USC, new fuel line, inspected fuel tank and found to be clean. Checked coil gap, cleaned up magnets (removed a little rust) as long as I was there. Put back together and started on first pull. Have been testing, mowing my lawn and in the two times I have mowed the mower has quit in the middle of it. One time half through and the next almost completely done. I noticed both times it started hesitating, (maybe running out of gas) then stopped. I opened the gas cap to look and plenty of fuel. re-installed the cap and started on first pull and finished mowing. Thinking I may have a gas cap with faulty vent (not sure if fixable/maybejust replace). Will be looking at that tonight. Any other thoughts as to what is causing this?
While it is running, its great
jwales
Guide

Advertisement

Re: Toro 20018 personal pace mower quiting while mowing?

Postby Mr Mower Man » Mon Jul 01, 2019 10:24 am

Sounds like we're having similar problems. I would check fuel flow by draining the tank into a container (gas cap on and tightened) and observing the flow. If the flow starts to get weak, loosen the gas cap and see if it improves.

You also possibly could have an ignition problem. Have you replaced the spark plug? A quick way to test for spark and fuel system issues at the same time is to have a can of starter fluid or carb cleaner handy. When the engine dies, spray a little into the air cleaner and then try to start it. If it tries to run on that, you have spark, and you have a fuel system issue somewhere. If it's still dead, I'd immediately use a spark tester and try to find spark.
Mr Mower Man
Forum Pro

Postby Skywatcher » Mon Jul 01, 2019 1:50 pm

Hi J

This sounds to me like the fuel cap is not venting (possibly been overtightened). When the engine starts to falter, loosen the fuel cap and see if it clears up. If it does, replace the fuel cap.

Sky
A person who sees Quality and feels it as he works is a person who cares.
A person who cares about what he sees and does is a person who's bound to have some characteristics of Quality.
Robert M. Pirsig. (Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance)
Skywatcher
Forum Pro

Location: Southern Alberta. Where the wheatlands meet the Range.

Postby jwales » Mon Jul 15, 2019 4:06 pm

Thanks all for the advice. it turns out it was the gas cap not venting properly. I borrowed another from my neighbor (who has the same model toro) to see if it worked. Had no rpoblems. mowed the whole lawn on two occasions with no issue!
jwales
Guide

Return to Technical Discussion Forum