• Advertisement

MTD / Briggs engine pulley problems

Use this forum to discuss small engines, and the equipment or machinery that they power. This is the main section for any technical help posts and related questions.

Re: MTD / Briggs engine pulley problems

Postby lefty » Sun Aug 18, 2019 10:45 pm

I just realized that I never posted the disposition on this one. I ended up taking up the slack in the disengagement rod in the meantime and it runs well. I'll be replacing the detent bracket shortly.

So this thing is going to finish out the season and I think the owner will be upgrading next season. Thanks everyone.
lefty
Forum Pro

Postby KE4AVB » Tue Aug 20, 2019 7:15 am

Tnx for the update.

But be aware I had customers that just want a mower make it through the season to only have them to show a few years later wanting the same mower repaired again. Strange how change their when the mower is not giving problems. :lol:

That's what I get for not doing shoddy work. ;)
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby lefty » Tue Aug 20, 2019 7:25 am

I don't know. It seemed believable this time. Besides....I tattled on him. I told his wife he's going to kill himself on it so I'm pretty sure he'll be getting a new one for his birthday next spring.
lefty
Forum Pro

Postby Arkie » Tue Aug 20, 2019 9:16 am

KE4AVB wrote:Tnx for the update.

But be aware I had customers that just want a mower make it through the season to only have them to show a few years later wanting the same mower repaired again. Strange how change their when the mower is not giving problems. :lol:

That's what I get for not doing shoddy work. ;)

under warranty,
because it broke again. ;)

I kindly tell them if they want a warranty go buy a new one.
I'm a Dr. type mechanic and Dr's don't give warranty's. (try taking a aspirin and call me later) ;)

You done good by telling his wife that he needs a safer one. I've seen the blades on those type MTD rigs just all at once start spinning over riding the blade brakes when in the dis-engauge position of the lever probably due to the blade drive belt getting warm in the spinning engine pulley. Very dangerous machines, even more dangerous when safety interlocks have been hacked by Bubba. :o :o
Arkie
Forum Pro

Postby 38racing » Sat Sep 28, 2019 9:22 am

38racing wrote:I had that on my neighbour's all stock unit. I noticed deck belt touching deck. Can't remember if bolt was gone or just loose. The key was worn off the pulley so I had to replace it. She had bought it from a friend so recent history unknown although I now recall that her son had tried to fix a no drive problem. Might have been due to
the loose pulley or he created the loose pulley.

So my neighbour's pulley came off again. She has the pulley and spacer but no bolt. Key area in pulley is perfectly smooth. I need to order a couple oem mtd parts for other projects so I'll get oem bolt and washer. Will use torque wrench and loctite this time. I'm wondering if it could be a mower issue. She bought it used. Bent shaft on a rider would be unusual I would think.
38racing
Forum Pro

Postby 38racing » Sat Sep 28, 2019 1:26 pm

I assume that I compared pulleys last time . I see that the hydrostatic pulley is a 1/4 shorter than the vari-drive and hers is vari-drive. Likely picking up a freebee tomorrow that matches hers. Daughter's neighbour flooded his and used fire extinguisher. Probably an easy fixup.
38racing
Forum Pro

Postby KE4AVB » Sat Sep 28, 2019 1:40 pm

I have no idea why I have seven torque wrenches. Lets see; 2 ea 1/4 drive, 2 ea 3/8 drive, 2 ea 1/2 drive, one 3/4 drive. The 1/4 dr, 3/8 dr , and 1/2 dr are in both LH and RH with 3/4 dr being RH. I haven't had much need for a LH 3/4 dr yet.

Oh I know I kept breaking and stripping screws.

Hope you don't go with the Red stuff; unless, you don't want screw come out ever again.
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby 38racing » Mon Sep 30, 2019 9:13 pm

Well my daughter's neighbour's flamed unit has the right pulley to use so I started today. Unfortunately my neighbour may have run too long with a loose pulley. (Her partner actually engaged the blades to get enough tension to drive it from the paddock area that he was cutting. Not only was key gone from pulley but the keyway in the pto shaft is wallowed out on one side. I had another MTD pulley that used separate key and I hoped I could just use a long key to catch the good edges above and below the wallow. But bottom pulley V is lower than hers. I expect that it might hit the deck but maybe not in lower positions of cutting height. I can't actually get that pulley on unless I drop the front of deck. What I've done instead is put some keystock in the keyway and fill the gap with JB weld and slid out the key. I'll let it harden 24 hours and see if I can get correct pulley on it.
38racing
Forum Pro

Postby 38racing » Wed Oct 02, 2019 10:00 pm

well I'm ready to put the pulley on. I can move it slightly. For now I will turn CW , lookin up, so key is against the driving edge of the pto key way and tighten it up good. I looked at another option. I have checked the other mtd pulley with keyway for the key. It does hit deck. I've toyed with the idea that I could cut the top v off and use like the drive pulley on a hydro unit. Then cut the extra length from the collar above the lower v and mount it up against the upper piece, basically as if it were an electric pto. I'd use a single key in the entire keyway of the pto shaft. My concern is how much collar of the lower piece will be on the pto shaft.
38racing
Forum Pro

Previous

Return to Technical Discussion Forum