• Advertisement

Transparent gel material in mower Carburetor??

Use this forum to discuss small engines, and the equipment or machinery that they power. This is the main section for any technical help posts and related questions.

Transparent gel material in mower Carburetor??

Postby jwales » Mon Jul 15, 2019 4:19 pm

So I took the carb off a Toro 4 cycle mower with B&S engine. Took the bowel off and no gas in it, but it had a clear soft gelatin substance all over in it and a lot crusted on the aluminum carb. I could not even get the pin off to remove the float and needle. After several trips through the USC I could disassemble. Any explanation on what it is or what caused it?
I now am wondering what the inside of the gas tank looks like. Guess I will find out tonight. Can't imagine how I will get that cleaned out.
jwales
Guide

Advertisement

Re: Transparent gel material in mower Carburetor??

Postby KE4AVB » Mon Jul 15, 2019 4:24 pm

What I have seen is an additive in the fuel reacting with water. I have seen a few completely fill with the jelly. Last I did one walk behind where it took the shape of small jelly beans. Seems to occur when water is present, not all fuels will do it just certain cheap brands.
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby 38racing » Mon Jul 15, 2019 7:48 pm

I've had the jelly too. Thought it was from ethanol in gas.
38racing
Forum Pro

Postby bobodu » Tue Jul 16, 2019 4:52 am

Overuse of Sta-Bil produces the dreaded " red goo" so other additives may cause other colors.
"Give me a fast ship, for I intend to go into harm's way."
bobodu
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Return to Technical Discussion Forum