• Advertisement

Hard Starting Stihl Chain Saw

Use this forum to discuss small engines, and the equipment or machinery that they power. This is the main section for any technical help posts and related questions.

Hard Starting Stihl Chain Saw

Postby bill18163 » Tue Jul 30, 2019 1:10 pm

I have a Stihl MS210 chain saw. It has always been a hard saw to start. I recently had to do some work on it to correct oil leaking from the oil tank. I got the oil leak taken care of and then decided to give it a tune up just to bring it into good working order.The saw runs great but there is still that hard starting condition on a cold start. It takes about 8 or up to 12 really vigorous pulls to get the machine to run. There is no primer bulb on the saw. Once you get it running it is very easy to start it again. Usually one pull starts it up. On a cold start I have the lever at full choke and I wait till I hear a "blurp" while pulling then I move the lever up one notch but it still takes many pulls to get it running. Is this just a quirk with this saw or is there something I should be looking at to possibly cure the hard starting?
bill18163

Advertisement

Re: Hard Starting Stihl Chain Saw

Postby KE4AVB » Tue Jul 30, 2019 2:25 pm

If it been a long time since the last carb rebuild it probably could use a new kit but note your are having to pump fuel back up to carb on cold starts so it will take multiple pulls. As said a new fuel pump diaphragm will probably help too as those flaps do wear and curl up therefore don't as well as when the saw was new.
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Return to Technical Discussion Forum