• Advertisement

toro rider blew a belt

Use this forum to discuss small engines, and the equipment or machinery that they power. This is the main section for any technical help posts and related questions.

toro rider blew a belt

Postby plotthound » Sun Aug 25, 2019 1:06 pm

my buds toro lx 460 riding mower blew a deck belt.i believe its the upper.does anyone have a part number for such a critter?

thanks
plotthound
Guide

Advertisement

Re: toro rider blew a belt

Postby KE4AVB » Sun Aug 25, 2019 1:20 pm

Upper Belt
Toro PN 112-5834 or you could use a 1/2 x 90 Kelvar belt.

Lower Belt
Toro PN 112-0317. MTD 954-0349 1/2 x 79.1 Kevlar
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby plotthound » Sun Aug 25, 2019 4:23 pm

thanks KE4AVB.will get them ordered up tomorrow.are the Kevlar belts as good as the toro OEM?
plotthound
Guide

Postby KE4AVB » Sun Aug 25, 2019 6:24 pm

You probably heard Aramid belts that John Deere uses. They are the same as the terms Kevlar and Aramid are interchangeable.

Kevlar (Aramid) V-Belts are what most mower deck belts are made with. It refers to the reinforcement cords.It preferred over polyester cords as it can handle heating a lot better where polyester cord can actually melt. You should never use polyester corded belts when it comes to deck operations. Now the polyester corded belts can safely be used in the motion drive. Even there I prefer Kevlar over polyester. Another benefit is that they have about a 1% stretch factor as where polyester are 3-5%.

Benefits of the Kevlar (Aramid) V Belts:

Excellent performance for drives having clutching applications and backside idler drives
Provides reduced slippage while clutching
Able to withstand high level of reverse flexing
High resistance to larger shock loads (High tensile strength)
Kevlar belts are great for the lawn mower and snow blower applications
Superior resistance to oil, heat, cracking, ozone sunlight and weather

But be aware even these belts will fail over time. I just replaced the deck on my Yard Machines mower that I am running a 5/8 version instead the 1/2 since I keep toasting the belt because of the 21hp engine and the knee high grass I cut with the mower. I got it so hot it actually was sticking the engine pulley. When measure it was still with spec except for the burn through fabric covering. They also can snap break if enough shock load is encountered. My TB Horse Tiller can snap then in a heartbeat if it has been sitting a while you try backing up without first going forward to un-stick the belt from the pulleys.

I also have been using them on customer's mowers for over 10 yrs. The reason I quit last year was that my distributor couldn't provide v-belt that matched the indicated lengths. This caused me to spend nearly $200 for a v-belt measuring tool just to prove I wasn't crazy and measuring then wrong. Just this week I check and they have supposedly corrected the problem by getting a new vendor themselves so I be trying A&I v-belts again next Spring.

PS: I don't mean to sound like a salesman it is just my experience with them.
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby hanz63 » Sun Aug 25, 2019 10:37 pm

Should you be interested 954-04122 looks to be the MTD part number for the 112-5834 4L 90.25"
hanz63
Forum Pro

Postby plotthound » Wed Aug 28, 2019 4:04 pm

so I picked up the new belt today at the toro dealer.the new belt is an mtd and I believe we gonna have an issue.when engaged the belt is perfect but when disengaged it looks like it will fall of the pulley.i checked all the pulley bearings to make sure none were wore out causing slack but all were good.is it possible that the new belt is a little to long?my bud whom owns the machine told me this problem started in july when he himself put a new belt on,the damn thing flipped then blew in half.i really don't know what else I can do so any advice would be great.

plotthound
Guide

Postby KE4AVB » Wed Aug 28, 2019 4:36 pm

Question Is the left hand spindle pulley cover in place with belt retainer pin? Otherwise belt will look like it going to fall off. I assuming you are referring to the PTO to deck belt.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby plotthound » Wed Aug 28, 2019 5:39 pm

the cover is not on my friend.it was dropped off without the cover.does the cover act as a retainer as well as a guard?

thanks again :mrgreen:
plotthound
Guide

Postby bgsengine » Wed Aug 28, 2019 7:18 pm

plotthound wrote:the cover is not on my friend.it was dropped off without the cover.does the cover act as a retainer as well as a guard?
Yep. some covers even have formed metal rods that are fastened to the plastic covers, if they go missing (somebody removed them or tossed them when a broken belt bent them or some such) they can still throw a belt even with covers in place.
How poor are they who have not patience. What wound did ever heal, but by degrees? - Iago (Othello Act II, Scene 3)
bgsengine
Briggs MST
Briggs MST

Postby KE4AVB » Wed Aug 28, 2019 7:48 pm

Item 17 is the stud that is the belt retainer which is mounted to the cover (item 57) by a matching nut (item 21). To me it is at the trailing edge of the LH spindle double stack pulley. Same as the MTD version except for color of the cover. I haven't able to find which MTD suffix code is for which color but it doesn't matter here as most of the mower are old and the user just wants that to work again.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Next

Return to Technical Discussion Forum