• Advertisement

Craftsman Lawn Tractor

Use this forum to discuss small engines, and the equipment or machinery that they power. This is the main section for any technical help posts and related questions.

Craftsman Lawn Tractor

Postby 90+ret-d » Sun Sep 01, 2019 8:24 pm

Can anyone tell me how to find what year the following model Craftsman lawn tractor was built?
Model number = 917255441 S/N 012794A002106 Thanks in advance.
90+ret-d

Advertisement

Re: Craftsman Lawn Tractor

Postby bobodu » Sun Sep 01, 2019 8:47 pm

January 27 , 1994....it was a Thursday....
https://www.hunker.com/12496994/how-to- ... ding-mower
"Give me a fast ship, for I intend to go into harm's way."
bobodu
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Postby 90+ret-d » Mon Sep 02, 2019 8:17 am

Thanks for the quick reply, you guys are great.
90+ret-d

Postby Skywatcher » Mon Sep 02, 2019 2:23 pm

Hi 90

Simply put, AYP and Craftsman date codes are 6 digit format Month, Day, Year. Briggs & Stratton date codes are 6 digit format Year, Month, Day with the last 2 digits denoting the plant and line of assembly. The engine will always have an earlier build date than the tractor by a few days to a month or so. If the engine build date is newer than the tractor, the engine has been replaced. All the best,

Sky
A person who sees Quality and feels it as he works is a person who cares.
A person who cares about what he sees and does is a person who's bound to have some characteristics of Quality.
Robert M. Pirsig. (Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance)
Skywatcher
Forum Pro

Location: Southern Alberta. Where the wheatlands meet the Range.

Postby Skywatcher » Mon Sep 02, 2019 2:42 pm

Hi Again

Should have added that the Craftsman (AYP) serial number is the 6 digit date code followed by a letter the machine's individual number. Therefore your machine was built on month 01, day 27 year 94 in factory location A. Here's where I'm not sure how the rest of the serial number works. it's doubtful that yours was the 2,106th machine built that day, so I'd be inclined to think it was more likely the 106th machine built on shift 2 of that day. If someone else has inside knowledge of how the actual machine number works, I'd be most appreciative. All the best,

Sky
A person who sees Quality and feels it as he works is a person who cares.
A person who cares about what he sees and does is a person who's bound to have some characteristics of Quality.
Robert M. Pirsig. (Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance)
Skywatcher
Forum Pro

Location: Southern Alberta. Where the wheatlands meet the Range.

Postby bgsengine » Mon Sep 02, 2019 3:33 pm

Skywatcher wrote:. Here's where I'm not sure how the rest of the serial number works. it's doubtful that yours was the 2,106th machine built that day, so I'd be inclined to think it was more likely the 106th machine built on shift 2 of that day. If someone else has inside knowledge of how the actual machine number works, I'd be most appreciative. All the best,

Sky

Nah. I'm pretty sure it is just a sequence number , more like the 2106'th machine built on that specific platform (that had no changes to parts or design, etc) over multiple years - Ive had serial numbers ending with as high as 9xxxxx on those units, and I doubt they built 900,000 in a year, but 900,000 without a design change, might be possible.
How poor are they who have not patience. What wound did ever heal, but by degrees? - Iago (Othello Act II, Scene 3)
bgsengine
Briggs MST
Briggs MST

Postby RJRacing » Tue Sep 03, 2019 9:54 pm

lets see if I can muddy or clear the water a little on this subject, the way it was explained to me years ago was, Sears would order a large number of the same machine and have the production and delivery from AYP spread out over 2 or 3 years time span. So sales of a certain model number will not be year specific, like a car, but the serial number will show the total number built up to that particular machine. Any revision (changes during production) of the model will be shown with the last digit of the model number, 917.xxxxx3 would be the 3rd revision
RJRacing

Return to Technical Discussion Forum